National Director, Corporate Development
- Washington, DC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
JDRF is the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. JDRF’s goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, policy influence and a working plan to bring life-changing therapies from the lab to the community. As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF has invested nearly $2B in research over the past 45 years and is sponsoring scientific research in 17 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit http://www.jdrf.org.
As a JDRF team member, you can look forward to interesting and challenging work, building strong relationships with fellow staff and our network of volunteers, and having a meaningful impact on the lives of everyone affected by this devastating disease.
In partnership with the AVP of Corporate Development, develops and executes strategy to deliver corporate revenue in support of JDRF’s mission. Develop strategic business relationships with national corporate partners to secure funding for JDRF organizational priorities at the $100,000 plus level. Our strategy includes working with a broader range of companies to increase health equity.
The successful candidate will be responsible for achieving and managing a $5M+ annual portfolio from national corporate sponsorships. Securing funding for JDRF organizational priorities involves selling intangible sponsorships that will be integrated into the business and marketing strategies of the prospective company.
Major responsibilities include generating and closing new and add-on sales and achieving a designated revenue goal, developing JDRF sales strategies, collaborating with chapters, collaborating with JDRF staff and volunteers, and managing the sales process from initial client meeting through contract close.
- As a department, meets and exceeds specific yearly revenue goals for the strategic organizational priorities. Standard fiscal year team goals are in the $13-20 million dollars plus range.
- Works internally with JDRF leaders to formulate saleable assets that includes desirable sponsorship benefits. Each opportunity must remain flexible so that prospective sponsor’s marketing strategy can be achieved through the initiative or program. While customization of the program is essential to meeting the needs of the sponsor, the asset structure must remain focused on meeting JDRF organizational priorities as set by the Strategic Plan. The National Director, is responsible for internal as well as external negotiation of sponsorship deals that meet the desired needs and outcomes of JDRF and the sponsor.
- Develops account strategy plans to achieve and exceed organizational priorities. Strategy includes description of the organizational priority, asset development, sales rationale, functional sales process, sales process timeline, proposal development, sponsorship benefits, and prospective client list. Works with internal program teams to determine product budget and sponsorship fee. Secures multi-year agreements through this process.
- Because of the intangible nature of JDRF sponsorship initiatives and programs and the benefits realized by corporate sponsors, a high-level consultative sales process is used. Consultative selling in the JDRF environment is a customer-oriented sales process, which advocates the discovery of customer needs, then presents JDRF sponsorship opportunities as the solution. The ability to become a partner with the partner, see business from his or her perspective and help the customer develop marketing and sales strategies that include JDRF is essential to the sales process. This process results in selling the profitable impact that JDRF has on a company, its public perception and ultimately its bottom line.
- Secures meetings with all decision makers and influencers and introduces the JDRF organizational priorities. Identifies the needs of the corporation and recommends specific strategies to meet those needs. Quantifies the fulfillment of these needs in a business strategy proposal that includes corporation’s return on investment and impact.
- Guided by the JDRF Strategic Plan, collaborates to develop specific, creative opportunities and benefits that will meet the prospective company’s strategic business needs. During the negotiation process, the National Director is responsible for directing the cross-functional team’s collaboration.
- Functions as a consultative sales resource to national and chapter staff, internal departments and Agency as appropriate. Directs prospecting in order to catalyze business development activity and client meetings.
- Cultivates a working relationship with local chapter staff and volunteers and maintain a high-level knowledge of existing local sponsorship opportunities.
- Manages the negotiation of the legal sales contract or Letter of Agreement. Responsibilities include drafting the sponsorship contract; collaborating with both the Manager of Account Services, JDRF legal department; and negotiating with the sponsoring corporation and corporation’s legal department, and internal national staff managing the sponsored organizational priority.
- Ensures that adequate JDRF approval and approval processes are completed and if required, total project management needs are accomplished.
- Works with internal teams and the internal account servicing team to complete the sponsorship project, assuring that the client receives the sponsorship benefits outlined in the contract.
- Stewards relationship with the partner through demonstrated return on investment and shared value through impact and purpose.
- Leads expansion of educational collateral to Spanish and other languages.
- Serves as a corporate partnership expert for the organization.
- 7 years’ experience in sales and sales management experience, particularly in selling intangible programs and services.
- Solid foundation of and experience in utilizing consultative selling processes.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate sound management practices and employ diplomacy skills to achieve desired outcomes.
- Aptitude and experience in sales, marketing, communication to CEO/ President/ Vice President level, business strategy development, client management and sales contract negotiation.
- Ability to develop relationships on behalf of JDRF in the for-profit sector and interact effectively with representatives of major national corporations, retailers, manufacturers, and their agencies.
- Ability to develop cohesive internal teams and lead internal teams in developing creative business strategies, developing programs that match organizational priorities and in solving problems.
- Excellent writing, presentation and communications skills are critical to this position.
- Fortitude for organizational communication, process management, team building, conflict resolution, mental flexibility and multi-tasking are critical for success.
- Ability to analyze ambiguous situations, find alternatives, interpret rules and adopt practical solutions.
- Ability to work through change based on the organization, accounts, prospects and Corporate Development goals. strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Marketing/Management, Health Promotion or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to develop and execute sales and marketing strategies.
- Experience in negotiations including the ability to problem-solve and conceptualize.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to both large and small groups.
- Ability to consult and interact with high level executives including JDRF C-Team, Sr Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, Directors and Managers as well as Fortune 1000 CEOs, Presidents, and Vice Presidents.
- Ability to devise creative alternatives for situations, exhibit flexibility, anticipate and resolve issues and react quickly to ensure the flow of the negotiation process.
- Skill in written and oral communications, including thorough knowledge and command of business English.
- Ability to effectively manage an independent work style and prioritize multiple ongoing projects.
- Ability to plan and conduct effective meetings based on resolution strategies and goals.
- Ability to travel (up to 40% of the time) for extended periods of time, including overnight trips up to a full week.
- Advanced degree in Business/Marketing/Management, Health Promotion or related field preferred.
- Sales experience with Fortune 1000 companies at the executive level preferred.
- Experience developing marketing solutions preferred.
- Ability to close six and seven figure deals and manage multi-million dollar account portfolios preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by September 7, 2021. The only potential exception to this rule is for applicants who cannot be vaccinated due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief.
JDRF supports a diverse and inclusive workforce.
JDRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.