- New York, NY, USA
JDRF is the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. Through research, advocacy, partnerships and outreach, JDRF is racing to find cures for tomorrow while striving to improve the lives of those with T1D today. JDRF positions its scientific resources, policy influence and strategic working plan to bring life-changing breakthroughs from therapeutic concepts to the community. As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF has invested nearly $2B in research and is funding scientific research and clinical trials in 17 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit http://www.jdrf.org.
JDRF will be hiring multiple scientists to manage diverse aspects of our research portfolio. You will be part of a highly interconnected and fast-moving team that is responsible for setting and driving the global research agenda for type 1 diabetes.
These research scientists will be responsible for building and actively managing a research portfolio of grants. The candidates will serve as internal experts in their specialty areas and function as a knowledge resource internally and externally. Due diligence and landscape analyses activities are a requisite part of this active portfolio management. Our mission is highly translationally focused on type 1 diabetes so the candidate should have a strong interest in public health and understand the basic concepts of product development and translational research.
The candidates will be expected to have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively with all stakeholders – internal and external scientists, board members, senior management, JDRF supporters, etc. The qualified individual will directly contribute to the implementation, oversight, and advancement of research projects and activities in several programs.
These scientist positions will report to Associate Directors and above, and will participate in all aspects of the JDRF research program including providing scientific input to accelerate the progress of therapeutic areas, contributing to future research strategies aligned with JDRF’s mission, and leveraging opportunities and optimizing relationships within the US and international diabetes research communities.
· Strategy and Planning
o Contribute to the regular assessment, review, and presentation of the status of the research portfolio to the Board of Directors and external scientific advisors.
o Work closely with the program administrators to plan, track, and execute on the research budget.
o Contribute expertise to strategic planning efforts across multiple project areas.
o Perform ongoing landscape analyses in areas of relevance to the research department’s therapeutic goals both inside and outside of your area of expertise.
· Review and Oversight
o Development of new research opportunities with internal and external stakeholders (academic scientists, industry partners, etc.)
o Management of external peer review of funding opportunities.
o Active management of ongoing funding opportunities towards early go/no go decisions.
o Opportunity to participate in scouting, securing, and managing research partnerships with companies, other non-profits, governmental agencies, etc.
o Generation and presentation of summary documents to lay and/or expert stakeholders.
o Generation of content for public media outlets in collaboration with internal Marketing and Communications team.
o Presentation of JDRF Research and priorities and special topics to both lay and expert audiences.
- Ph.D. in biomedical sciences - pharmacology, physiology, cell biology, nutrition/metabolism, public health, biochemistry - or similar field required.
- Post-doctoral experience (1-2 years) in disease focused or product development areas desired but not required
- Working expertise in one of the following areas is highly desirable:
- Experience in the mechanisms of human disease, especially autoimmune disease
- Medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, early stage product development
- Knowledge of T1D clinical trials and T1D outcomes
- Data science/analytics, big data warehousing
- Public Health, epidemiology
- Psychosocial and quality-of-life aspects of disease, including behavioral health interventions, mental health, patient reported outcomes
· Ability to create, operate and innovate within highly connected team environments with high level of independence
· Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines demonstrated by strong organizational skills and a detail-oriented nature. Establish priorities in fast-paced environment. Must be a fast learner.
· Exceptional collaboration and relationship-building skills. Ability to interface with stakeholders of highly diverse backgrounds such as all staff and volunteers. Must develop, maintain, and cultivate relationships.
- Demonstrate creativity and ability to think strategically regarding scientific and technical opportunities or roadblocks and to conceive and execute on projects
- Ability for and interest in developing expertise in new scientific areas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.