National Director of Marketing and Communications Strategy
- New York, NY, USA
JDRF is the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. JDRF’s goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, policy influence and a working plan to bring life-changing therapies from the lab to the community. As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF has invested nearly $2B in research over the past 45 years and is sponsoring scientific research in 17 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit http://www.jdrf.org.
As a JDRF team member, you can look forward to interesting and challenging work, building strong relationships with fellow staff and our network of volunteers, and having a meaningful impact on the lives of everyone affected by this devastating disease.
As National Director of Marketing and Communications Strategy, you will join a dynamic and innovative Marketing & Communications (MarCom) team at JDRF and be an integral part of Marketing and Communications leadership team. The organization needs your talent, creativity and enthusiasm to drive our mission forward. As part of the national MarCom team, you will work with colleagues curating inspiring narratives, brainstorming campaigns, and finding better ways to reach more people and increase engagement with a worldwide movement making real impact. We’re looking for a talented marketing and communications strategist who can lead a team of campaign, content and event marketers. The team will drive the creation and execution of campaigns that strengthen awareness of type 1 diabetes, empower the T1D community, and engage people to join our mission to create a world without T1D.
- An Inspiring Leader– Leads a team by example; coaches a high performing team in a way that leverages individual expertise and supports collaboration within Marcom and throughout JDRF
- A Savvy Brand Champion– Ideates innovative partnership campaigns that deepen engagement and broaden JDRF’s reach
- T-Shaped Marketing Generalist– Understanding and experience across marketing and communications functions with deep expertise in one or more focus area: digital, campaign, fundraising, content, project management, brand, events, and loyalty
- An Expert Strategist– Nimbly moves from executive and partner meetings to team brainstorms and is capable of establishing strategic frameworks that thoughtfully establish objectives, budgets, and timelines; a marketer with a strong track record of success developing and executing multichannel campaigns
- A Skilled Planner– Translates the marketing and communications team’s objectives into plans that connect with cross-departmental and partner needs, and sets priorities for team to execute on them effectively; supports the fundraising teams in the Development organization with strategies and tactics that can further these team’s fundraising goals
- Influential Communicator– Expertly negotiates communications between departments, partners, and the MarCom team, gaining influence by showing empathy and pragmatism
- A Master Storyteller– Conceptualizes and articulates how individual touch points/messaging opportunities ladder up to a holistic supporter journey culminating in content consumption and brand loyalty
- An Analytical Thinker– Capable of understanding, analyzing, and collaborating on reporting and analysis resulting in the creation of compelling presentations to stakeholders across all departments, including other JDRF departments and corporate partners
- Effective team management that leverages the expertise of a team that includes campaign, event, digital, content, corporate development, and fundraising strategy specialists.
- Successful brand, marketing, and impact campaigns that articulate JDRF’s mission and generate new audiences and engage existing supporters.
- Digital-first strategies that can be used by the Corporate Development team for revenue growth, focusing on audience journey, incorporating compelling content, innovative tactics, and out-of-the box thinking to support purpose-driven partner marketing campaigns.
- Develop collaborative relationships with MarCom colleagues (brand, content, digital, creative) on all campaigns including planning, creating proposals, scheduling campaigns, and reporting.
- Serve as escalation point with digital agency partner, other JDRF departments, external partner organizations, and select industry partners.
- Drive collaborative partnerships with Development’s fundraising programs (e.g., walk, ride, etc.) to support said team’s revenue objectives.
- Establish best practices for marketing program execution, including setting the standard in the creation of strategies, briefing of internal and external teams, establishing and reporting on KPIs, and leading the way in innovation.
- Leverage expertise in paid, earned, and owned strategies and tactics to ensure JDRF is achieving and exceeding goals.
- Serving as a member of the MarCom leadership team and contributing to department initiatives as assigned.
- Owning relationships with key internal stakeholders and developing deep relationships that demonstrate MarComs’ commitment to JDRF’s mission.
- Knowledge must include an understanding of both digital and traditional marketing and communication strategies, with a heavy emphasis on understanding modern digital strategies that go beyond paid media.
- Foster consistent brand results measurement, robust industry and brand analytics, and a focus on results to continuously improve effectiveness and ROI for the brand.
- Stay current on market, competition, and trends including analyzing current marketing tactics, concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Drive new campaigns that drive awareness and fundraising success.
Degree in Marketing (or related field) with 8+ years of marketing experience, some of which must be in-house. A proven track record in brand management, advertising, or marketing positions.
- Brand Marketing
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Digital Marketing
- Agency Relations
- Event Strategy
- Market Research
- Campaign Performance and Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
- Effective Communication
- Uses Insightful Judgement
- Demonstrates Initiative
- Agility and Adaptability
Reports to: CMO, Marketing and Communications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and infrequently up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.The noise level in the work environment is usually low.