- Brentwood, TN, USA
JDRF is the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. JDRF’s goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, policy influence and a working plan to bring life-changing therapies from the lab to the community. As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF has invested nearly $2B in research over the past 45 years and is sponsoring scientific research in 17 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit http://www.jdrf.org.
As a JDRF team member, you can look forward to interesting and challenging work, building strong relationships with fellow staff and our network of volunteers, and having a meaningful impact on the lives of everyone affected by this devastating disease.
The Development Director role is a great opportunity to join a strong Chapter team and work closely with the Executive Director and local leadership, regional teams and an outstanding group of volunteers to increase the reach and impact of the Chapter.
The Development Director will lead and manage the development staff in East and Middle Tennessee and will have oversight for all fundraising events across the territory. In addition to making sure the fundraising events meet revenue goals and are well-executed, the Development Director will also have direct responsibility for Walk and Gala Sponsorship across the territory ($750,000+) as well as Nashville Gala tables and Fund a Cure under $10k ($450,000+).
Other responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a key staff member in implementing the strategic direction and purpose of the chapter events. Collaborate with an outstanding team of local staff as well as national/regional staff resources to ensure the Chapter’s growth and success, discuss best practices, and share new ideas.
- Formulate, implement, and lead strategies and tactics for chapter fundraising and Development activities to sustain continued growth, maximum penetration of core market areas and opportunities for expansion where appropriate.
- Analyze effectiveness of events and have strategic discussions with key steak holders to assess impact/needs.
- Provide strategic direction and active leadership for corporate partnership development.
- Assume lead role in developing committee structure, volunteer relationships and the placement of volunteers in leadership roles. Build and implement committee annual plans.
- Direct and manage Development staff across two offices. Participate in staffing decisions and evaluate staff. Communicate and set expectations clearly and appropriately. Provide ongoing growth and development by motivating, developing, and directing staff and volunteers as they work to achieve JDRF and Chapter’s priorities.
- Establish and maintain departmental and organization wide policies and procedures. Plan, schedule, prioritize, abide by and monitor all activities and procedures related to the department.
- Develop an annual plan for each assigned priority including financial goals and objectives. Develop timelines and budgets, and ensure that tasks are completed on time and within budget. Manage budget and control expenses effectively with an eye on revenue growth and expense reduction opportunities.
- Participate in Chapter planning and budgeting processes.
- Represent the best interests, professionalism and integrity of JDRF in all activities and relationships through a unified message of the JDRF mission and a commitment to organizational standards and leadership by personal example.
- Manage special projects as opportunities arise.
- 8-10 years of relevant fundraising/business experience required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of both special event and non-event fundraising activities (stewardship, etc.) is a must. Gala experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in staff management.
- Experience and success in viable pipeline development.
- Volunteer development and management experience, especially around the staff-volunteer partnership.
- Committee management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in non-profit corporate development fundraising.
- Understanding and knowledge of donor-centered fundraising.
- Exceptional management, leadership, and team-building skills.
- Team player that has the ability to interface with all levels of staff and volunteers. Must develop, maintain, and utilize relationships. Capability to leverage relationships and negotiate agreements.
- Excellent written, oral, and communication skills. Ability for presentation delivery, conveying ideas, and instructing effectively. Superior active listening, observation, analytical, and problem recognition and solving skills. Exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work and make judgments independently and take initiative. Well-disciplined and a self-starter that is extremely resourceful. Effectively multi-task, establish priorities, and work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in event software systems and CRM database. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
- Ability to travel required. Overnight travel as needed. Up to 40% travel expected (to East Tennessee). Occasional evening and weekend work required as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred or equivalent experience required.
JDRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.