Legal & Compliance Manager
- KL / Subang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
At JACOBS DOUWE EGBERTS we are inspired by our belief that it’s amazing what can happen over a cup of coffee. We are driven by the vision that everyone deserves the coffee they love. Today our coffee & tea portfolio is available in over 140 countries around the world through iconic household names including: Jacobs, Tassimo, Moccona, Senseo, L’OR, Douwe Egberts, Super, OldTown White Coffee, Essenso, Owl, Kenco, Pilao & Gevalia.
What’s it like to work at JACOBS DOUWE EGBERTS?
We are proud of our passionate, driven associates that challenge the status quo and pursue mastery in everything they do. Our goal is simple and ambitious – JACOBS DOUWE EGBERTS: A coffee for every cup
Working with us means you’ll be making an impact in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. We work as a team, celebrating success and supporting one another. Our associates work with a diverse group of like-minded people, in an innovative environment committed to doing the right thing – all across the world. What you do here will get noticed.
The Legal & Compliance Manager is responsible for all legal affairs in the respective market. He/she will provide legal services, supports the business to get to its goals faster and safer, and implement global L&C strategies, functional best practices, company policies and procedures and ensure full compliance of the markets’ business with applicable legislation. He/she will manage outside legal counsel and be a close business partner for the local management teams and play a key role in risk assessments that involve legal, regulatory, compliance and reputational aspects.
The Legal & Compliance Manager reports to the Legal & Compliance Director APAC (based in Sydney). This will be a stand-alone legal role in Malaysia.
The job scope for this role is overall Legal and compliance of Marketing & Sales Unit (MSU) and Manufacturing Unit (MU) in Malaysia entities.
- provide legal services and support the business to get to its goals faster and safer.
- develop and implement corporate policies, compliance programs & procedures.
- limit total legal spend to the defined threshold.
- measure and continuously increase customer satisfaction.
- deliver annual compliance program, including trainings to defined target groups.
- manage and deliver legal work-streams for the integration of new businesses.
- provide legal support to other business projects in the respective region.
- provide timely and commercial legal advice to business partners to gain a competitive advantage for the businesses.
- periodically reports to the Regional Director on legal issues, budget and litigation status.
- identify, assess and manage levels of (corporate) risk for internal clients/corporate projects to ensure minimum future liability and cost exposure for the organization.
- act as Local Compliance Officer for respective entities and markets.
- manage local legal support to the business countries in the region where no local in-house Legal Counsel is present.
- manage markets budget.
- responsible for outside Legal Counsel Engagements in the region in line with the global outside Legal Counsel Strategy.
- strongly liaise with other functions to foster integrated compliance management, especially with Regulatory, Corporate & Government Affairs (CGA), Finance and HR.
- ensure sharing of best practices within the legal team and facilitates sharing of best practices across business disciplines.
- Law Degree (Employment law, Company law, Contract law, Competition law, Compliance, Data Privacy, Compliance Management, Governance, Advertising law, Intellectual Property & Regulatory)
- Litigation, Customs/Supply Chain law, Tax law preferred.
- 6-8 years of post qualified experience gaining relevant commercial experience in developed markets with an established law firm.
- Relevant commercial, compliance and corporate experience acquired over several years after qualifying as a lawyer with respect to relevant laws and regulations to the operations of a multinational company.
- In depth knowledge of the legislation and case law regarding, manufacturing, advertisements, distribution of FMCG products as well as competition, contracts etc. as identified above.
- In-house background (full-time working experience or client secondment) preferred.
- Experience in compliance management.
- Passionate, energetic & innovative work culture
- Outstanding Career Development Opportunities
- Flexibility with working hours
- The best coffee and tea served all day in our office – or be your own Barista!
Thank you for your interest in JDE, please note we will only reach out to shortlisted candidates.