Packing Safety Lead
- Ruscote Avenue, Banbury, United Kingdom
We believe amazing things can happen over a cup of coffee.
Everyone’s coffee experience is unique – that’s why we bring this flavour into our careers. We keep our care and guidance individual to you. We celebrate achievements and support one another in a workplace that’s committed to doing the right thing – all across the world.
Our goal is simple but ambitious. Jacobs Douwe Egberts: a coffee for every cup.
JDE is a €5 billion global business retaining a start-up feel and containing some of the leading brands in Coffee and Tea – Kenco, L’OR, Tassimo and Douwe Egberts to name a few.
The UK represents a top 5 global market for JDE and continues to be a growth engine for the category, driving premiumisation by leading the single-serve partition with the Tassimo brand and premiumising the instant coffee segment through Kenco, L’OR and the Douwe Egberts brands.
Working with us is an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the world’s largest pure play coffee company.
Business context of the role:
At Jacobs Douwe Egberts we’re inspired by our belief that it’s amazing what can happen over a cup of coffee. Here in the UK & Ireland we are known for leading coffee brands including Kenco, L’Or and Tassimo. With associates spread across 3 locations in Hurley (nr Maidenhead), Banbury and Dublin.
This position is based at our Manufacturing site in Banbury. The Packing Safety Lead is part of the Packing team who form a key part of the wider Manufacturing function. The Manufacturing function ensures the integration of all key business processes from supplier to customers, green coffee beans to award winning coffee. The team covers sourcing, procurement, manufacturing, engineering, supply chain and planning processes, they ensure optimal alignment between demand and supply at a global scale.
About the role:
The Coffee Packing Safety Lead has responsibility for safety across all packing lines, tote room, warehouse and Tassimo areas. This days-based role is accountable for identifying, establishing and implementing safety improvements within the area, continuing to deliver the site safety roadmap and sharing best practice through all JDE plants.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Lead safety in the Packing area to provide a safe environment within Packing that involves the use of complex packaging equipment and transport operations.
- Continually develop existing and new procedures to improve safety standards and develop area safety roadmap.
- Maintain the safety database and use it to provide data to show trends and focus areas.
- Identify safety improvement opportunities, document and lead improvement activity.
- Lead area safety meetings, drive and support area safety team to continuously improve procedures to achieve zero accident culture and respond to legislative changes.
- Ensuring all risk assessments are in place, in date and reviewed
- Lead safety improvement initiatives to include LOTOTO, Risk Assessments, BOS, Safety Actions, COSHH, and Permit Systems.
- Engagement of management and all shift teams is vital to ensure all of the objectives are met
- Act as the safety representative for all Packaging projects and regularly review progress against agreed project plans.
- Maintain direct and close relationship with site SHE Manager to achieve agreed site / departmental goals and targets.
- Formulate and work in close collaboration with line leads to deliver tool box talks to shift teams using information / trends from safety actions / accidents and behavioral observations.
- Represent department at site wide safety initiatives and audits and union safety meetings
- Provide out of hours support for the line leads.
- Lead accident investigations, ensuring all relevant information is captured by Line Leads and representing the department in subsequent meetings
- Improve safety awareness in Coffee Packing
- Continually engage shifts to understand their safety concerns, formalise Safety Actions, and work with associates to find solutions
- Ensure all safety training and compliance to JDE policies is adhered to
- Develop robust risk assessments for all departments in conjunction with shift leads and safety reps
- Deliver LOTOTO project across packing areas by engaging with area “experts” to ensure a safe, workable LOTOTO system is developed
- Ensure that risk assessments and COSHH documentation is completed and maintained to the required standard
- Degree preferred
- NEBOSH preferred or willing to train
- Qualification in Mechanical, Chemical or Production Engineering, ideally having achieved Chartered status.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a technical or production role
- Ability to engage others in creating an improved safety culture
- Direct experience of working closely with a range of individuals from shop floor operators, technicians and line managers
- Knowledge and proven understanding of highly complex automated Packaging Equipment and Transport Systems.
- Recognised formal safety training and experience.
- Safety and environmental legislation knowledge
- Proven project management experience
- Technical knowledge and capability to identify and deliver improvements across the Packing areas
- - Knowledge of how the production area operates
- A team player who can engage fully with personnel at all levels of the business
- A pragmatic approach to developing solutions to safety issues
What’s it like to work at JACOBS DOUWE EGBERTS?
We are proud of our passionate and driven associates who challenge the status quo and pursue mastery in everything they do. Our goal is simple and ambitious – JACOBS DOUWE EGBERTS: A coffee for every cup
Working with us means you’ll be making an impact in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. We work as a team, celebrating success and support one another. Our associates work with a diverse group of like-minded people in an innovative environment committed to doing the right thing across the globe. Your achievements here will get noticed.
Jacobs Douwe Egberts is a global coffee & tea company, serving consumers in more than 80 countries through iconic brands including: JACOBS, TASSIMO, MOCCONA, SENSEO, L'OR, DOUWE EGBERTS, KENCO, PILAO and GEVALIA