Chief, Media & Advocacy
- Worldwide, un
The International Youth Federation (IYF), is an international non-profit youth organizations network governed by the present Statutes and the Swiss Civil Code. It is neutral politically, and non-denominational, aim to empower youth worldwide. The IYF is a part of the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Youth Network.
Does making a difference motivate you? Do you want to be part of the global youth movement? Are you passionate about youth empowerment? Are you driven to be a part of a bigger purpose in the service of the young people? If you think you embody these values then you can apply to join us through the available vacancies listed below.
*All the vacancies are Remote/Community-basis and does not require travel, Kindly note that all the advertised jobs on this page are on a VOLUNTARY basis.
Position Title: Chief, Media & Advocacy
Category: FTA International
Duration: One Year (Renewable)
Supervisor/Report to: Secretary-General
Job type: Volunteer Service (VS) Part-Time
Deadline: 20 February 2019
The Fédération Internationale de la Jeunesse in English International Youth Federation (IYF), is an international non-profit youth organization network governed by the present Statutes and the Swiss Civil Code. It is politically neutral, and non-denominational, aiming to empower youth worldwide.
The IYF headquarters communications team works to attract positive attention for the IYF, strengthening recognition of our work and raising the profile of the organization. Strong media outreach, public events, and other multimedia advocacy tools are an important element of that work.
Under the guidance and the overall supervision of the USG, The Chief leads the headquarters communications team and is responsible for developing the IYF’s global communications strategy and related policies, providing strategic leadership and overall direction and guidance to build appropriate communications capacity within the IYF. The Chief leads on strengthening IYF’s external positioning, and effectively managing the organization’s reputation.
To voluntarily represent, positively promote, and uphold the mission of “Empowering youth for a better world” in various programs and opportunities throughout the IYF interventions across member countries.
(A) Develop and implement media and related external communications strategy:
- Proactively increases the positive visibility of IYF’s activities and results worldwide with the media and among key stakeholders, ensuring the development and implementation of a media outreach plan, key messages, and work plans to achieve communications goals;
- Advises HQ Bureaus and Country Teams across the globe on media outreach and other communications activities and mobilizes them to support key communications initiatives, especially in times/issues of high potential global visibility including important public events, other newsworthy opportunities;
- Leads, manages and motivates communications, media and advocacy staff, overseeing personnel in the recruitment, performance and career management processes.
(B) Oversees media relations and news coverage:
- Leads the media and advocacy Team in all media outreach activities;
- Provides leadership and oversight in order to target journalists from in donor and Member Countries and to develop communications tools (press briefings, feature stories and op-eds) to implement the media outreach plan;
- Ensures that all media relations efforts are focused on improving the IYF’s positioning in priority areas as well as leading the Team to spot and take advantage of newsworthy opportunities and emerging stories;
- Provides strategic advice to Regional Communications Advisers/Specialists based in the regions and HQ communications focal points in developing and implementing tailored media strategies.
- Oversee the IYF corporate websites and provide coaching and guidance to IYF organizational units including Country Teams, in enhancing the quality for the worldwide network of the IYF contents and websites.
(C) Increases IYF’s visibility through new and innovative partnerships with media organizations, including new media:
- Through the fostering of new partnerships with media, the private sector and other organizations, and works to increase the visibility of the IYF activities and advocacy including through public information and profile and awareness-raising campaigns, public events;
- Provides ongoing strategic direction, advice and guidance in the organization of campaigns and advocacy activities and, working closely and collaboratively with the Manager, Online and Digital Communications and with the rest of the Online team, leverages social media and multimedia in all communications activities, including the production and dissemination of video and other digital and visual communications products;
- Gives strong, strategic and creative editorial direction and guidance for news and feature stories, op-eds, videos, statements, press materials. Ensures that all written and multimedia external materials produced by the communications team are of excellent quality.
- Strategic planning and creative thinking.
- Planning and Organizing.
- Drive for Results.
- Collaboration and Teamwork.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, members, volunteers, and other supporters.
- Ability to interact cordially and communicate with a diverse community.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Highly interest in youth empowerment issues.
- Knowledge sharing skills are required.
Experience and results preferred at national level preferred in communications role, media, advocacy, development, youth issues, sport, women empowerment, youth-led organizations or another relevant field.
Fluency in English with superior drafting skills is essential.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
This vacancy is a voluntary-based position with (4-8 Hours/Week) part-time commitment