COVID-19 Response Technician
- Foresterhill, Aberdeen, UK
International SOS (www.internationalsos.com) is the world’s leading medical and travel Security Risk Services Company. We care for clients across the globe, from more than 1,000 locations in 90 countries. Our expertise is unique: More than 11,000 employees are led by 1,400 doctors and 200 security specialists. Teams work 24/7 to protect our members. We pioneer a range of preventive programs strengthened by our in-country expertise. We deliver unrivalled emergency assistance during critical illness, accident or civil unrest.
We are passionate about helping clients put Duty of Care into practice. With us, multinational corporate clients, governments and NGOs can mitigate risks for their people working remotely or overseas.
Our global services include medical and risk planning, preventive health programs, in-country expertise and emergency response for travellers, expatriates and their dependents of over 70% of the Fortune 500 companies.
The COVID-19 Response Technician will perform both entry screening and COVID-19 PCR testing on personnel at a variety of client sites and clinics.
Screening duties will involve temperature screening on personnel at the entrances to client facilities to identify persons who may have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus, to minimize the risk of spreading the virus.
Testing duties will involve taking swabs from client personnel in controlled clinical settings, under the supervision of a Clinician and testing for the presence of the COVID-19 virus.
The emphasis is on quality of service and ensuring that our service delivery offering, as per our work instruction, is always adhered to. The COVID 19 Response Technician will present a highly consistent, safe and diligent approach to this service and work as an ambassador for the business.
Screening Duties and Responsibilities:
- Explain to all personnel the purpose of the screening
- Deny entry to personnel who answer positively to symptom questions or register a high temperature.
- Ensure screening area is set up with clinical waste bags, patient information, as per addendum
- Implement full infection control precautions at screening site
- Safely dispose of all disposable PPE including single use items such as gloves
- Operation of a laser thermometer ensuring this is disinfected after every use
- Manage all the clinical waste and ensure it is disposed of safely
- Ensure that daily denied entry stats are completed and reported to the Team lead, Entry Screening
- Ensure that PPE usage is recorded, and order additional PPE as required
- Attend, and contribute to weekly team meetings and lessons learned sessions
COVID-19 Testing Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take samples for testing from passengers through swabbing cultures from the front of the nose and back of the throat
- Create a safe and clean workspace to deliver testing services
- Explain the process to patients and create a calm and reassuring atmosphere through communication
- Support COVID-19 testing training and provision by assisting with collection and analysis of testing
- Maintain infection control measures to a very high standard in line with current HPS/PHE guidance (training provided)
- Attend client premises offsite as required to support testing programs
- Follow guidance and carry out instruction from Clinical Manager as required
- Promote the business interests through a professional delivery of service
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Following training will be comfortable using clinical diagnostic equipment
- Basic anatomical awareness
- Ability to manage others
- A calm and professional manner
- Commitment to client delivery
Required Work Experience
- Experience working in a clinical / healthcare setting (desirable but not essential)
Travel / Rotation Requirements
- Ability to travel to client locations in and around Aberdeen
- Willingness to work varied shift patterns including early starts and late evenings
Given that this role has been created to respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 it is essential that applicants are in good health, do not have any respiratory conditions and are willing to submit to regular medical screening during their employment.