- Dallas, TX, USA
- Job Duration: Regular
Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 20 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Specialist located in Dallas, Texas. The Operations Specialist opens new restaurants and provide training support to the Operations Consultant and franchisee through on-site visits and effective coaching throughout North America. Utilize knowledge of restaurant operations and staff resources to provide counsel, advice and assistance to franchise owners/operators, GM’s, Assistant Managers and staff during the opening process. Provide leadership and coaching to franchisees and the restaurant staff in order to achieve the short and long term operational objectives of the franchisee and the company. Development of skillsets to assist franchise owners/operators, to positively impact and improve their sales, profits, operating standards and operating systems, thereby increasing the opportunity for additional development of restaurants and the profitability of franchisees. Provide leadership and/or support in the management of various projects within the organization.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Assist the Operations Consultant with a planning, organizing and directing the training activities for new restaurants during the pre-opening training process. Provide post opening support as designated by the Operations Consulting Manager.
- Train and implement the utilization of management systems and routines to ensure franchisee compliance with ADQ’s operations policies and procedures using learning management system and brand standards materials. Maintain consistent performance standards among assigned locations.
- Monitor and coach franchisees during the pre-opening training process. Ensure brand integrity is/will be maintained and training schedules comply with the opening process developed and agreed upon by the Operations Consultant and the franchisee.
- Utilize the training material and systems developed for the store opening process to ensure a standardized system of operations.
- Ensure necessary initiatives are taken on a timely basis so that goals are accomplished in the areas of product quality, food safety, quality of service, speed of service, employee morale, productivity and profitability. Anticipate problems and develop workable solutions with the Operations Consultant of each project assigned.
- Become an expert in the training and use of all restaurant equipment.
- Ability to interpret and consult to restaurant equipment layout designs.
- Maintain effective communication with the field and cross-functional partners regarding updated information pertaining to assigned projects. Maintain record that tracks your performance, communications and activities within your area of influence.
- Assist with the process of championing new ideas (product, service, etc.) from the franchise community. Capture best-demonstrated practices and share to team members and the franchise community.
- Through observation and training, learn to provide leadership and direction to cross-functional teams, both pre- and post-opening, for the development and on-going operation of successful restaurants to achieve the targeted 15% ROI in the first year of operation.
- Ability to analyze statistical data relating to the restaurant opening for the purpose of improving restaurant sales and profitability.
- Learn to identify opportunities in the areas of marketing, operations and training to develop and improve restaurant sales and profitability.
- Learn to evaluate restaurant facilities and operations via company provided measures. Provide recommendations that will positively effect overall operations, sales and profitability.
- Manage operating budget for the position, meeting all needs of the position while maintaining expenses at or below budget.
- Support key performance targets and programs set by the marketing, training, finance and R&D departments.
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned by the Director of Development Operations.
- Air and car travel for store openings in duration of one to two weeks, up to thirty (30) weeks per year. Such travel is essential to the position and the frequency will be dictated by the needs of the business.
- Ability to work on evenings, weekends and holidays, as necessary to meet project deadlines.
- Able to use all restaurant equipment, including broilers, fryers, soft serve machines, and blending machines.
- Frequent (up to 8 hours per day) communication via telephone, and email.
- Ability to drive an automobile for store openings. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required. May require sitting in vehicle up to 6 hours per day.
- Ability to stand on tile and concrete floors for up to 14 hours per day during a restaurant opening.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to bend, kneel and/or extend arms over head as needed for restaurant operations work.
- Willing to perform all tasks necessary in restaurant operations as a part of training for opening process.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in business, education, marketing or hotel/restaurant management required or equivalent combination of education and restaurant operations work experience.
- Must have 1-3 years of franchise operations management or restaurant leadership experience, i.e. shift management or above.
- Relationship building skills with the ability to create mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external clients.
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within an intense, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work quickly in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Creative thinker who can quickly develop innovative ideas across a wide variety of business units.
- Ability to be a team leader and facilitate brainstorming sessions.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and other administrative systems.
- Well organized with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment. Ability to effectively coordinate with other departments (Concept Development, Operations, Brand Marketing, Legal, USCI) to complete projects on time.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the quick service restaurant industry and general restaurant operations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, employer paid basic life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid sick and vacation, 401(k) match, tuition reimbursement, wellness challenges and more!
International Dairy Queen (IDQ) requires all U.S. employees to submit their vaccination status and documentation. IDQ is an equal opportunity employer and consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, will consider requests for reasonable vaccination accommodation based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs where it is able to do so without undue hardship to the Company.
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program. You must be work authorized in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.