Data Engineer (Senior Level)
- Delft, Netherlands
You see things a little differently. So do we! We believe that what you value is more important than what your CV says. We offer positions that will challenge your skills and let you grow. Come see things a little differently with us.
Who we are
The world is changing, and the IKEA business is changing with it. For IKEA though, one thing will always remain the same ─ our vision to create a better everyday life for the many people. We will strengthen and develop our competencies in order to meet the needs and dreams of the many people around the world. And to be accessible and relevant, wherever and whenever they wish to meet IKEA.
About IKEA Consumer & Market Insights (ICMI)
ICMI has the assignment to contribute to IKEA people making well-founded decisions based on actionable and timely insights. ICMI delivers Customer Experience Insights, Strategy & Market Insights, and Brand & Range Insights. Each of these three areas develops and/or operates insight products to IKEA people across our value chain.
As a Data Engineer (Senior Level), you will be part of the Data Engineering and Analytics chapter while working in a cross-functional team with one of the insight products of ICMI.
About the role
In the role as a Data Engineer (Senior Level), we believe that you are bringing seniority and confidence in the Data Engineering area – with a passion to lead and be part of a team of talented engineers. You will operationally lead the growing group of data engineers as well as take an active role in developing our strategy and roadmap as well as assist in recruitment activities and coaching of junior colleagues together with the Data Engineering & Analytics Chapter Manager.
You are confident in combining solid data engineering and software development skills (Python, Pyspark), data modelling, integration knowledge with your business understanding, and strong analytical skills that enable you to deliver the expected benefits to the business. You will be working with Databricks and Azure services (e.g. Azure Data Lake Storage, Storage Accounts, Azure Data Factory, Azure Functions, etc.)
This is an exciting opportunity to influence the quality of data-based decision-making across IKEA while working with the latest technologies on a cloud-based environment in a multi-disciplinary team with architects, data scientists, data engineers, and insight specialists.
Your main responsibilities as Data Engineer (Senior Level) will be:
- Act as a leader within the Data Engineering area, supporting the Data Engineering & Analytics Chapter Manager with developing the Data Engineering team
- Drive all aspects of collecting, analyzing, integrating, modelling, processing and refining data from different sources across the IKEA ecosystem and external sources as needed by your product team or area.
- You will help design, build and maintain data pipelines.
- Evaluate business needs and objectives in collaboration with the Product Team and other stakeholders.
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability.
- Identify opportunities for data acquisition.
- Contribute to the development of analytical tools and programs, ensuring easy and standardized access and sharing of data.
- Work closely together with partners, peers, and other relevant roles like data scientists, analysts, or architects across IKEA as well as in your team.
- Mentor and coach junior data engineers in the team.
- Ensure application and consistency with relevant digital frameworks, principles, guidelines, and standards.
- Document and make the relevant know-how available.
Relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree within Engineering, Computer science, Information Systems, Mathematics or related fields. Master’s degree is preferred within Engineering, Computer science, Information Systems, Mathematics or related fields.
- 7+ years of experience in a similar role; leading fellow data engineers within the data engineering area
- Extensive experience working in agile project environments.
- Experience within the Insights field
- Strong knowledge in designing efficient, robust and automated data pipelines, ETL workflows, data warehousing and Big Data processing.
- Hands-on experience with database design in varying concepts.
- Working experience with Python or Pyspark is required.
- Working experience and understanding of Azure Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake, Azure SQL DW, and Azure SQL is required.
- Experience in business processing mapping of data and analytics solutions.
- The ability to apply such methods to solve business problems using one or more Azure Data and Analytics services in combination with building data pipelines, data streams, and system integration.
- Experience in driving new data engineering developments (e.g. apply new cutting edge data engineering methods to improve performance of data integration, use new tools to improve data quality and etc.)
- Experience preparing data for Data Science and Machine Learning
- Preferred experience in retail and/or market research.
It is important that you are eager to take initiative and driven to achieve results that support our business stakeholders in their daily work. You understand how to work with technology as a business tool and have the ability to listen actively, making complex situations understood, operational and simple for users. Your communication skills enable you to build relationships with business stakeholders and translate their requirements into sustainable, productive solutions.
Most of all, it is important that you get excited from stepping into an environment with development opportunities. As our new Insight Data Engineer (Senior Level) colleague, you will be inspired by possibilities and opportunities which digital and information technology bring to enable, transform and break new grounds. As a member of the team there will be a mix of learning new skills from current team members as well as coaching users.
This is a full time position (40h/week). Travelling may be required based on business needs. Kindly note that we are continuously interviewing candidates and the job might be closed earlier than indicated.