Public Affairs Leader
- Delft, Netherlands
Inter IKEA Systems (our friends call us Core Business Franchise) is the owner and worldwide franchisor of the IKEA concept. Our responsibilities include protecting, developing and enabling the future success of the IKEA brand and concept. This may sound simple, but there are a lot of different things we do to make sure the IKEA business stays strong.
Next to what we do, is how we do things – an important and unique part of who we are. We let our values guide us in everything we do, meaning all of us are committed to leading by example, working together, finding new ways and getting things done. We also know that business succeeds when people do, so there is always room to develop and grow in your everyday work.
Read more about us at https://about.ikea.com/en/about-us/
About Core Business Franchise Communication
Our goal in Communication is to proactively and transparently communicate the why/what/how behind our main franchising responsibilities. We specialise in internal communication, B2B communication (to our franchisees), media relations and public affairs.
No matter which leg of communication we are working in, we all contribute to meeting our goals by:
- leading assignments and topics that deliver to our common business priorities
- engaging with the right target groups and stakeholders at the right time
- interacting with colleagues from all parts of the global IKEA franchise system
- ensuring all communication is in line with the IKEA tone of voice
Do you think you’d be a great addition to our team? Then we want to hear from you! Just make sure you read the whole ad and answer the questions at the end so we can really get to know you and consider you for this role.
Media relations and public affairs is how we share what we do, and how and why we do it, with external stakeholders and through our own channels. This drives curiosity and engagement and builds trust in the IKEA brand.
Public Affairs Leader
For this role, we are looking for someone with extensive experience in the field of Public Affairs and/or external communication – a person with strong value-based leadership, including seniority in leading people, teams and/or matrices.
In this role, you will:
- Create and maintain long-lasting relationships with key governmental stakeholders, supporting our ability to operate our international franchise system, governed under Dutch law.
- Develop, manage and maintain international and diplomatic relations and networks, supporting our ability to successfully expand the IKEA brand and business in new and existing markets.
- Create curiosity and trust in IKEA among external stakeholders (such as media, NGOs, authorities and other relevant partners) and establish the IKEA franchisor as a preferred discussion partner in business relevant topics.
- Lead the way for IKEA to be recognised as the good neighbour that is involved in and committed to the communities it operates in.
- Increase Public Affairs awareness and competence within Inter IKEA Systems B.V., and establish it as a function that creates business impact.
- Establish ways of working within the IKEA network. Take the lead in creating and establishing an effective and aligned governance structure that creates clarity around the roles and responsibilities for Public Affairs across all IKEA stakeholders.
- Contribute to the proactive external communications agenda for the global IKEA franchisor (PR, PA and social media) – together with the external communication team – and secure alignment with the overall communication strategy and plan.
- React with high quality and speed when it comes to external communications topics that could influence our business.
- Give us, as the global IKEA franchisor, a voice in global and national arenas on topics related to our business needs and responsibilities, and strive to influence important topics that impact our business.
- Work together with other IKEA companies/franchisees to align views on global public affairs issues that influence the IKEA business whenever possible.
You are very adept in building trusting relationships and long-term partnerships with stakeholders at all levels. Social skills are a natural part of who you are. You have a proven track record in delivering results through others, making complex tasks and processes understood and actionable.
You have extensive experience leading projects and people, with a strong understanding of how communication enables change and contributes to business development. You feel as confident being part of a team, supporting colleagues across the IKEA franchise system, as you feel working by yourself.
You are recognised for well-developed strategic and analytical skills. At the same time, you know how to roll up your sleeves and get things done. You are a true role model when it comes to leading by example – an ambassador of the IKEA values, through and through.
In order to succeed, you will need very strong verbal and written English language skills. Knowledge of the Dutch political and governmental landscape is an advantage, as well as knowledge of the Dutch language.
IKEA is an inspirational working environment, based on creativity and innovation. You will have the opportunity to work and interact with people from all around the world. This is a place where you can focus on doing what you love. There are no dress codes or closed offices. No day is ever the same. All ideas are welcome. Everyone tries to pitch in when needed, and failures are seen as a way of learning. When you enter our workplaces, we want you to feel that you can inspire billions of people all over the world.
Do you want to join a team of strategic doers in our journey to grow and develop the communication function within Core Business Franchise? Send your application by 20 June 2021.
Please make sure your CV is in English, and answer the following questions in your letter.
- What can IKEA do for you?
- Why IKEA (as your next working destination)?
- What are the key components in a successful Public Affairs assignment?
If possible, please also include a short film introducing yourself. (Keep it simple! Just make it on your phone.)
If you don’t include a CV and answers to the questions above, it will be really hard for us to see how well you’ll fit in our team. So please be sure you submit a complete application.
If you have any questions about the job or the recruitment process, please contact Jessica Guerrero <[email protected]>.
A few more details for you
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) and is located in Delft, the Netherlands. Travel may be required. This role sits in the Communication leadership area at Core Business Franchise and reports initially to the Communication Manager, with the potential to report to the External Communication Manager in the near future.