Material and Innovation Developer Bio-polymers
- Älmhult, Sweden
Material and Innovation Developer Bio-polymers, New Business and Innovation (NB&I) - IKEA of Sweden
At IKEA of Sweden AB, in Älmhult in the south of Sweden, is where the IKEA business and range are developed and made available to stores and customers all over the world. It is also here we explore the future to create ideas and innovations for a better everyday life at home for the many people.
Let’s make things better
With the task to capture the opportunities of a changing world, New Business & Innovation explores 2030 and beyond. We are here to explore the big problems in everyday life, for the planet and society, creating solutions relevant for the many people. We are curious, eager to step into the unknown and believe in co-creating across borders. We are here to collaborate and challenge known truths in a world of ideas and technology. With the IKEA vision – to create a better everyday life for the many people - as a starting point, and without limitations to products, we focus on creating capabilities and solutions that are relevant in the life at home today and tomorrow.
Create new bio-material value chains
IKEA has decided to take a leadership position to create new value chains in the bio-materials arena along with our partners. The direction is that all fossil derived chemicals used in our range of polymers today will be converted into more sustainable and eventually renewable chemicals and products. We do this to create a better every day sustainable life for the many! Come and be a part of the team that will lead this paradigm shift and revolutionise the industry for decades to come!
Right now we are looking for a Material & Innovation (M&I) Developer for Bio-polymers within the NB&I Material and Innovation team. The M&I Developer Bio-polymers will lead development projects of new materials & innovations, creating the foundation for an outstanding IKEA range. For us this means fulfilling all aspects of IKEA Democratic Design; meaning quality, function, form, affordability and sustainability. The position reports to Material and Innovation Programme Manager.
The Material & Innovation Developer Bio-polymers is responsible for:
- Based on IKEA directions and knowledge about life at home, market situation and competitors on the IKEA markets, identify, initiate and lead material innovation projects for Material & Innovation within Polymers area
- Identify, evaluate, develop and maintain partnerships and potential new technologies (partnering to exploit technologies) of relevance for identified platform chemicals leading to IKEA home furnishing applications
- Formulate clearly defined objectives/goals in all democratic design dimensions, communicate and anchor material innovation development projects in IKEA innovation councils describing necessary needs/budgets for successful development
- Secure that all necessary agreements are in place together with legal counsel and support in negotiations and initiate patent application processes together with the patent team
- Support development of IKEA material strategies in terms of material & innovation objectives and goals
To be able to deliver in this role, the M&I Developer Bio-polymers should have:
- Engineering degree (minimum Master level and preferably PhD) within biochemistry or equivalent.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in industrial bio technology within Bio-polymers applications ex. plastics for injection moulding, fibres, wood adhesives etc.
- Deep knowledge and successful track record in managing and executing material and technical development projects from early research and innovation phase
- Deep knowledge and experience in the specific material and mass production techniques within the area, preferably in consumer goods sector
- Deep knowledge about market trends, future demands and technologies within Bio-polymers areas
- Extensive experience from strategic development, product development processes and international business, preferably from several parts of the value chain
- The capacity to steer and work in a developing and changing environment
The M&I Developer Bio-polymers position is a challenging and rewarding position with great impact but it needs something to be successful. Curiosity and an open-mind for new possibilities, always with an analytical and structured approach. Passion and capability to connect ideas from different fields and create new solutions. An ability to lead resources, without formal authority, in order to reach common goals. The capability to build networks, sharing knowledge and coaching others. Strong skills as a communicator and influencer – someone capable of getting ideas and solutions understood by a broader audience. This person is characterized as a problem solver with the business and customer in focus - making sure things happen. We love what we do and we seek people who love their work too and who share our values in their professional and everyday life.
IKEA of Sweden is a vibrant culture where ideas are heard, where there is opportunity to learn new skills and where the goal always is “to create a better everyday life for the many people”. We give down-to-earth, straightforward people the possibility to grow, both as individuals and in their professional roles.
We offer this position in a fast paced, truly global environment with an endless supply of challenges and development opportunities.