Mechanical Engineer 3 - Relocation Assistance Provided
- Hood River, OR
Insitu, a non-fully integrated subsidiary of The Boeing Company, is an integrated information and technology company, pioneering in the design, development, production, and operation of high-performance, cost-effective unmanned aircraft systems. We exist to pioneer and innovate products and services that positively impact people’s lives and change the course of history. To reach our full potential as a business, we imagine and create much more than products with wings. On a daily basis, our Vision and Mission guide us, while our cultural pillars — Pioneer | Perform | Unite | Care — inform our decisions in all that we do, and aspire to do.
Designs mechanical/electro-mechanical products and systems. Evaluates customer requirements, conducts trade studies, make/buy assessments and develops design criteria. Specifies system components or product modifications. Conducts engineering analysis and generates risk mitigation plans and strategies. Creates proof of concept and performs modeling/CAD analysis and prototype development. Develops vendor technical requirements and monitors vendor performance to plan.
Develops two dimensional drawings and design specification documentation. Establishes test plan/procedures. Documents engineering design development outcome and analysis. Reviews engineering drawings for design conformity and prepares documents for release. Develops and delivers design review packages.
Conducts verification/validation analysis to include feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems. Confirms test setup. Performs or monitors tests, documents outcomes and confirms design requirements. Troubleshoots and/or conducts root cause analysis of identified deficiencies. Retests and performs final acceptance actions. Assesses/analyzes operational events. Investigates equipment failures and diagnoses faulty operation. Evaluates potential baseline changes. Makes design and/or procedural changes or recommendations.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Experience and knowledge of payload integration as applied in the Mechanical field
- Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable and consistent with organization objectives.
- Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Contributes to completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze problems (troubleshooting, fault isolation, repair, modification, or redesign) of assigned end items to support the design, development and modification of company products using knowledge of engineering disciplines (ME, EE, etc.).
- Knowledge of computer aided tools and systems [e.g., computer aided design (CAD), computer aided three dimensional interactive data or Solid Works]. Able to manipulate data sets, compare measurement data, create stereo lithography files.
- Knowledge of design requirements, manufacturing processes, materials, prototyping techniques and applicable technologies to build initial concepts through final validation pre-production models.
- Knowledge of design and drafting methods (e.g., orthographic projection, descriptive geometry, layout, geometric dimensioning & tolerance, coordinate systems, etc.) as applied to manual drafting and/or computer-aided design tools in the creation of drawings and datasets.
- Knowledge of engineering tests techniques, including handling qualities, performance, systems testing, structural loads, propulsion, etc.
- Ability to establish test requirements from supporting documentation, test plans, internal and external customers. Knowledge of domestic and international regulations (e.g. FAA or DOD regulations) on the certification of test articles/vehicles to assure compliance of design.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods and fabrication processes (e.g., forming, stamping, machining, heat treatment, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, N/C programming or inspection). Ability to select the best method of producing parts, tools or assemblies.
- Knowledge of product structure, materials strengths and properties, design criteria, loading conditions, and processes. Knowledge of polymers and composite materials (e.g., metals, carbon, fiberglass or adhesives).
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering theories (e.g., compressible/incompressible fluid flow, Bernoulli's Theorem, thermodynamics, control theory, Mohr's theory of stress) and methods/formula selection (e.g., vibration analysis, load calculations, heat transfer, flow, root cause analysis, pressure drop).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
5-8 years in an engineering classification with a Bachelor's degree or 3-6 years experience in an engineering classification with a Master's degree.
Insitu is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans.