Commercial and Capture Manager
- Rawson St, Auburn NSW 2144, Australia
- Level: Strategic Bids
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
Working within the Strategic Programs & Partnerships team and reporting to Director, Strategic Programs and Partnerships, the role will be the commercial bid lead and capture manager for a major public sector sales opportunity.
As Commercial Lead, the role is responsible for the smooth management of all the commercial aspects including but not limited to contracts, pricing, governance, liaising and negotiating with sub-contractors and suppliers, working with and supporting internal teams including supply chain, legal, technical and program management, ensuring commercial processes are followed and for the management and reporting of team metrics and risk management. This role will be responsible for crafting compelling offers and supporting follow-on negotiations with the Australian Government, Inmarsat Partners and Suppliers, ensuring that business cases are appropriately constructed with an optimal balance of risk and return.
In the Capture Management function, this role leads specially convened teams and ensures Inmarsat is best positioned to win and influence sales bids acting as the focal point for all commercial deliverables.
- Lead all commercial activities relating to Global Government’s Strategic Programs bids & business development activities.
- Able to articulate the customer’s vision and disseminate that within Inmarsat to lead our commercial strategy and conclude why our solution is “best of breed”.
- Obtain approvals from designated approvers ensuring adherence to the Company Authorisation policy.
- Development of financial plans, monthly reporting and metrics including presentation to approval for the key Stakeholders and approvers.
- Driving efficiencies to ensure contracts remain financially viable and delivered on budget.
- Develop business cases for new products and initiatives to enhance Global Government’s Strategic Programs offer ensuring appropriate profitability and Return on Investment (ROI).
- Work with the Finance team to ensure that all deals and business cases have a robust and thorough financial analysis and Inmarsat finance approval process adhered to.
- This is a 12-month fixed term contract role based in Sydney, with potential extension or transition to permanent role.
- Lead the development of high quality formal Sales proposals, bids and offers ensuring that all offers and proposals are commercially valid, deliverable and include appropriate and relevant T&C’s
- Manage the compliance of all commercial processes (with a particular focus on the bidding process) ensuring that clear, defined governance steps are achieved at each stage of the bidding process. This includes recording all relevant documents and decisions systematically as an audit trail.
- Undertake post bid submission win/loss reviews for lessons learned. Ensure this is maintained on record to drive ongoing improvement in business development activity.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with internal departments including Project Management, Marketing, Customer Services, Finance, Offer Development, Market Development and Sales
- Any other reasonable requests as may be required by the Director, Strategic Programs.
- Develop accurate financial modelling (including risks and contingency planning) with the ability to create reports and run analysis as to the viability of the business case for the programme.
- Manage the output of various departments to ensure cost input information is accurate and has been thoroughly verified for completeness and accuracy.
- Compile sensitivity analysis for ‘what if’ scenarios to determine impact to programme.
- Create compliance scoring for bid analysis to determine likely scoring of our solution to the customer.
- Price to win and competitor analysis, with various reviews (i.e. black and red hat).
- Co-ordinating RFQ’s and assisting with commercial responses to either the customer or suppliers.
- Leading development of sales proposal and offers to the customer.
- Working with engineering or the solution teams to determine what suppliers we will utilise, along with alternatives for a thorough bidding process.
- Bid Team Size – 5-10 people.
- Allocated Management Budget – up to $3M (bid phase), eventual contract value $250M+
- Primary Customers – Australian Defence Force.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- At least 5 years’ experience of bid management within Defence communications or SATCOM/Telecoms industries in Australian or 5-Eyes programs.
- Excellent quality report and business case development skills.
- Ability to construct persuasive arguments and make recommendations to a variety of audiences via excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrable stakeholder management skills.
- Highly organised and decisive with a record of accomplishment of working to tight deadlines on technically complex, multi-million $ bids.
- Strong numeracy skills – including the ability to review and challenge financial costings.
- Highly motivated, calm under pressure and used to working in a busy environment.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (particularly MS Excel and MS Word).
- Fluency in written and spoken business English.
- Must have a current Australian drivers’ license and passport.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Tertiary qualification in Economics or Commerce related discipline.
- Experience working with AUSDEFCON (bids and contract negotiations)
- Experience of working in telecommunications, SATCOMs, defence or other complex technology providers preferred in a global environment.
- Ideally a technical background with established commercial experience.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises.
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences.
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heard of everything we do.