In-Orbit Test Engineer
- 99 City Road, London, United Kingdom
- Level: Employee - Standard
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over thirty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 12 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a FTSE listed company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 10 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security, Group IT and Real Estate & Facilities.
Primary role purpose:
Working together with other members of the department, take responsibility for parts of Inmarsat’s payload In-Orbit Test infrastructure (including day-to-day operations, maintenance, support, evolution, augmentation and technology refresh). Specifically for the payload IOT campaigns of Inmarsat satellites, contribute to the planning, preparation, co-ordination and execution of the campaigns.
In addition, as a member of GCS, provide technical, operational and programmatic contributions both to the core engineering activities of the department (in support of Inmarsat’s present and future satellite generations) and to the commercial activities such as third-party launch support.
The role includes taking up leadership and/or programme management responsibility for specific projects or key work packages.
The IOT System Engineer is expected to provide key contributions or to lead in some of the following areas:
- Planning, preparation, co-ordination and execution of the payload IOT campaigns of the Inmarsat satellites, including:
- From the Space Segment-provided payload IOT Plans, develop requirements and specifications for future IOT Measurement Systems, and participate in the procurement and implementation of these systems including factory and on-site acceptance testing.
- Develop payload IOT procedures, Sequences of Events (SOEs) and test sequences.
- Carry out payload IOT Campaigns preparations and planning including IOT Operations Plan, database preparation, loading of the measurement sequences, on-site IOT procedure validation, IOT rehearsals and all required site logistics.
- Conduct the payload IOT campaigns at selected earth stations (including managing personnel deployment and shifts planning).
- The IOT / System Engineer will be expected to take a lead role in respect of the above functions for the GX10 programme.
- Take responsibility for parts of Inmarsat’s payload IOT ground infrastructure (including day-to-day operations, maintenance, support, evolution, augmentation and technology refresh). This activity includes interfacing with internal customers and managing the utilisation of the IOT assets.
The IOT System Engineer is expected to provide contributions in the following areas:
- Provide support to various core engineering and/or operational activities of the GCS department as required to support Inmarsat’s present 13 satellites, and future satellites (such as Inmarsat-6 F1 and F2, GX789, GX10), TT&C launch support activities, network upgrades, maintenance activities, ground systems support including on-call etc.
- Participate in the procurement and implementation of Inmarsat and non-Inmarsat TT&C/PCS/IOT services and equipment including development of requirements, RFP specifications, evaluation of bids, negotiations with selected bidders, monitoring technical and operational aspects of contracts.
- Evaluate test methods and test results, and participate in factory and on-site acceptance testing for baseband, IF, RF, PCS, TT&C, IOT earth station equipment. Perform independent analysis of earth station performance.
- Develop Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and Operations Concepts documents (CONOPS). Participate in Compatibility Test and Integration and Test (I&T) activities of earth station equipment.
- Develop and maintain link budgets, including accuracy calculations of earth station ranging systems (standard tone ranging and spread-spectrum ranging) and IOT measurement systems.
- Support and participate in Telemetry, Command and Ranging (TCR) IOT phases of newly launched Inmarsat satellites.
- Collaboration across boundaries
- Team building
- Decision making/leadership/enterprise spirit
- Inspired communications
- Best value and customer excellence
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- University degree in electrical or electronic engineering or equivalent;
- Satellite communications experience or equivalent abilities, with experience of satellite IOT and associated testing;
- Exposure to earth station RF and IF satellite communications equipment design, implementation and testing;
- Good written and spoken command and communications skills in English;
- Ability to prioritise and to work well under pressure;
- Demonstrable analytical approach to problems (including the capability to apply analytical methods and tools to actual scenarios such as ground station design, link budget and availability calculations etc.), but prepared to take ‘common sense’ and practical shortcuts when necessary.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in a multinational team, in international telecommunications environment;
- Exposure to TT&C ground systems design and operations including baseband equipment;
- Knowledge of data communications systems and protocols;
- Computer systems, programming and software administration experience;
- Good negotiation skills with customers and suppliers.
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organization.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do