Senior Data Engineer
- 99 City Rd, Old Street, London, UK
- Level: Employee - Standard
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 10 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security, Group IT and Real Estate & Facilities.
Primary role purpose:
As a Senior Data Engineer you will be involved in and responsible for the design, implementation, deployment, and productionizing of our data collection systems, streaming and batch, and (ETL) pipelines for our data scientists, partners, value added resellers, and customers. This includes setting up and developing a monitoring solution for data integrity and data quality through all stages of the pipelines.
You will work closely with teams both within CCO and across the other business units to identify recurring issues, perform root cause analysis, and you will take an active role in assessing remedial actions taken to improve overall quality of service.
Consistent reporting and availability of clear information is critical to the wider team; the post-holder will be required to establish relevant in-service metrics, to feedback regularly to stakeholders as well as to develop an effective data-management system and a means for data to be easily disseminated and accessed by other team members.
As a Senior Data Engineer you will be responsible for:
- The development, maintenance, and deployment of data integration and ETL pipelines
- Setting up rules, alerting, and monitoring for data consistency and quality
- Converting and migrating current (legacy) data pipelines
- Working together with the data scientists and operations to help them provide the right data at the right time to the business, our partners, value added resellers, and customers
- Automating business and operations reports and alerts
- Managing data repositories
- Maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Resolving complex issues that may impact multiple business areas
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
You are recognised as a data engineering specialist with advanced skills in:
- Managing distributed systems and clusters
- Deployment, provisioning, and automation tools. (e.g. git, Jenkins, Sonar, RPM)
- Linux system administration
- Programming in scripting languages, e.g. bash, python
- Relational and time series databases
- Data management and monitoring
- Building (complex) ETL pipelines
- Batch and streaming
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
Some experience with the following:
- Dynamically and statically typed languages
- (Apache) Kafka
- Postgres and InfluxDB
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do