Building Physics and Sustainability Engineer
- Brisbane QLD, Australia
- Position Titles: Building Physics and Sustainability Engineer
Our vision: To be globally renowned for inspiring the next generation of sustainable buildings, today. To us it matters.
Inhabit is a unique, multi-disciplinary team of professionals who are passionate about making a positive contribution to our built environment. We are a boutique collective of experienced architects, designers, and engineers who work both independently and in partnership to deliver a holistic approach for our clients.
We believe that our respective areas of expertise can be integrated to allow seamless interdisciplinary synergy to create buildings that are more relevant to our evolving society.
Our specialist disciplines include façade design, sustainability, building physics, acoustics, audio-visual and theatre design, and architectural lighting.
An exciting opportunity in our Brisbane office is available for an experienced, creative, and motivated mid or senior level Building Physics and Sustainability Engineer to become part of the team. You will be collaborating with the best in the business, building on your specialised technical knowledge whilst working on the design of some of the most exciting projects in Australia and internationally.
The team is undergoing rapid growth over the next 6 to 12 months and we are looking for key people to be part of the next phase of our team development.
The Inhabit Building Physics and Sustainability team is internationally distributed across Australia and Asia. The team is location independent, enabling access to projects across Australia, Asia, and Europe from any location. We uniquely work across all stages of the project lifecycle, from business case and advisory to sustainability and carbon strategy to detailed modelling, construction, and post-occupancy. This means that we have a focus on real-world results rather than the hypothetical targets seen in other parts of the sustainability industry.
All of our team members are encouraged to develop into engineers with capabilities across our entire skillset. This is achieved through a spirit of support and growth - we challenge ourselves to grow our technical excellence and consulting skills and closely support each other to do so.
Some of our recent Australian projects include:
- Monash University Woodside Building for Technology and Design, Melbourne
- New Performing Art Venue (NPAV) at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC), Brisbane
- Rhodes Central, Sydney
- Chadstone Hotel, Melbourne
If this interests you, we are seeking someone who:
- Has an appetite for learning new skills and a proven ability to manage delivery of multiple projects
- Is motivated by progressive thinking to find creative solutions
- Is willing to learn how to thrive in a commercial environment
- Is curious and wants to apply problem-solving to real-world applications
- Doesn’t mind being out of their comfort zone and challenging themselves
- Is interested in continually refining their oral and written communication skills
- Understands the relationship between detail and the ‘bigger picture’, and has an appreciation for both
About the Role
This role includes:
- Leading the delivery of excellent outcomes for our clients on matters relating to Building Physics (thermal, condensation, daylight, glare, etc.), Sustainable Design (Green Star, Passivhaus, etc.), and Sustainability Consulting (carbon strategies, business cases, etc.)
- Being the lead representative on projects, including site meetings, design workshops, site inspections and liaising with relevant stakeholders to meet client and project requirements
- Developing and maintain relationships with clients a project teams, such as developers, architects, main contractors, subcontractors and suppliers, project managers, etc.
- Managing client relationships and expectations
- Expand the Building Physics and Sustainability portfolio by assisting with business development and marketing
- Supporting graduates and junior team members across the team, including supervision and training
- Effective communication with clients, project teams, and colleagues, internationally
Skills and Experience
- A degree qualification in engineering is required, with mechanical engineering considered favourable
- Experience working within the Building Physics / ESD / Sustainability sector, preferably within a consulting environment
- Local experience working within the Australian market
- Sufficient technical background to understand performance challenges beyond a mechanical services brief, including fundamental engineering knowledge (e.g., heat transfer, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics)
- Experience in one or more of Green Star/WELL/NABERS consulting, Living Building Challenge consulting, Passivhaus design and construction, delivery and implementation of carbon strategies, and project sustainability strategies.
- Experience in one or more of building energy modelling, parametric modelling using Rhino/Grasshopper, hygrothermal engineering (WUFI, THERM + LBNL family), CFD modelling using OpenFoam and Linux architecture
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to deal with both internal and external customers (including international clients)
- Ability to generate new work from new and existing clients
- An appetite and commitment to growing and improving professionally and personally
- Motivated by progressive thinking to find creative solutions
What We Offer
- A wide variety of technically interesting projects across Australia and internationally
- A chance to be a part of and steer the growth of a discipline
- Excellent mentorship and career progression opportunities with future global career prospects
- Be rewarded for your enthusiasm, commitment, dedication, and loyalty
- Parental leave and Purchased leave
- An Employee Assistance Program
- Staff events
- Friday casual clothes day
Please upload your Resume, Cover Letter and any other supporting documentation where asked within your application. Ensure you consider the skills and experience needed for this role and include in your application.
Inhabit is a part of the Egis group of companies. To learn more visit https://inhabitgroup.com/an-egis-company/
Please no agencies