Head of Business Development (Amsterdam OR London)
London or Amsterdam Based (Relocation can be an option)
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Informa Markets, Bringing specialist markets to life
Informa Markets creates platforms for industries and specialist markets to trade, innovate and grow. Through more than 450 international B2B brands, we provide opportunities to engage, experience and do business via live and virtual experiences, specialist digital content and actionable data solutions.
The Food division
The Food division runs 2 of Informa Market’s most successful Brand portfolio’s:
We organize 14 global events annually within these 2 Brand portfolio’s, bringing buyers and sellers in the Food & Nutraceutical industry together from across the globe to do business both in-person and online.
Sectors focussed on are: Manufacturers of ingredients, Manufacturers of finished products, Distributors, Consultants, Research, Academia, Retailers, Technology, etc..
Some of the main theme’s for these industries are a.o.: Immune Health, Healthy Aging, Botanicals, Sustainability, Gut Health, Sports Nutrition, Mental Health, Omega-3
The Food team’s are based in both London (UK) and Amsterdam (NL).
The Head of Business Development is responsible for the leadership and management of revenue generation from new & lost customers for a business unit within Informa Markets EMEA. Business Development is a key focus of Informa Markets EMEA, recognising the need to develop a distinct focus and capability in order to drive new revenue growth, with an approach and skills which differ from those of account management and retention.
The experience an Exhibitor (customer) receives in their first year is a significant driver for long term loyalty, as such the role will be responsible for the 1st year’s sales cycle, before these customers transfer to an Account Management / Key Accounts function after the point of rebooking.
The Business Development team they lead, will be responsible for both sourcing and closing leads, working with Exhibitor Marketing, as over time qualified leads are more systematically passed from Marketing to the Business Development team. The function will work closely with Marketing to develop marketing strategies to attract new customers, enter new markets and review new business revenue. The role will lead and manage a team who will be expected to effectively and efficiently sell to a variety of customers, from large key account acquisitions to independent SME’s customers.
As part of the life time management of customers, at times the Business Development team will be expected to support the closing or retention of high value or strategic customers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and manage the business unit Business Development team, to deliver the targeted new business revenue growth for each brand (event/product) or sector
- Lead in the development and identification areas of growth, or white space to for grow revenue, through new market / sector opportunities and mechanisms (e.g. product bundling / upselling)
- Develop new business growth strategies and market analysis to appropriately focus and target the business development team
- Support in the definition, management and adaption of new business development sales campaigns
- Lead sales campaign execution, including targeting, pipeline management, deal closing and accurate reporting of performance to the business unit Sales Director
- As part of the Business Unit Sales Leadership team, support in the overall development of business unit Sales strategies, forecasts and plans
- Leading the effective and efficient handover of new business customers into account management function, following the customers first rebooking period.
- Provide new business development sales expertise to and collaborate with, Brand and Marketing leads within the business unit. Maintaining an open two way dialogue to share customer feedback, insight, lead qualification and overall brand impact or market dynamic
- Globally connect brand and market sales opportunities, which could drive new revenue opportunities for UBM
- Support on the (where applicable) integration of JV and agency sales performance reporting into the EMEA business unit weekly and monthly reporting process
- Line management of the Business Development team (Business Development Managers and Executives), through regular 1:1’s, professional development, Sales coaching and pastoral responsibilities
- Build an effective new business sales culture within the Business Unit and across EMEA working counterparts in other areas as one EMEA Sales group
- Lead the adoption and consistent use of the global Sales process and CRM technology. Ensuring consistency, efficiency and effectiveness in the way UBM sells
- Drive the adoption and use of the Sales Excellence pipeline process, coaching the team to accurately track customers through the sales pipeline process within Salesforce (CRM)
- Lead on the recruitment and assessment of new hires to the Business Development team within the business unit
- Adhere and commit to the UBM Commitments and lead by example
- Business Development revenue targets
- New business revenue growth (new customers)
- Lost business revenue growth (lost customers)
- Brand (Event/product) new business revenue performance against target
- Cost of new business sales / Sales budget management
- Sales team performance metrics
- Pipeline velocity
- New business sales conversion % (win rate)
- Deal size (average sales value for closed – won deals)
- Number of open opportunities
- Sales cycle time (average time it takes a team to close a customer)
- % of sales target attained
- Sales team sales activity metrics
- Number of new calls (by sector / account size)
- Number of new opportunities (pipeline)
- Number of new leads generated into pipeline
- Number of new f2f customer meetings
- Sales employee performance (of the business development team)
- Sales churn
- Sales satisfaction (internal survey)
- Sales adoption and process performance
- Sales process cycle time improvement
- Key Salesforce system adoption metrics
- Sales Excellence pipeline process adoption
- Shared metric with Marketing and Brand leadership
- % Re–book of 1st year exhibitors
- NPS, Loyalty and Customer Satisfaction
- New product launch success rate
This role is open to Amsterdam or London location with the Business Group HQ based out of Netherlands.
- Experience in leading B2B sales teams and proven ability to deliver or overachieve on new business revenue
- Proven ability to lead and manage a Sales team, instilling an effective Sales culture with high energy for growth
- Ability to identify, target and analyse new business sales opportunity areas
- Data & financial literacy
- Drive and hunger for business development and revenue growth
- Strong leadership and sales performance management experience
- Ability to develop relationships at senior levels and manage high value accounts
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident personality, high level of enthusiasm
- Ability to collaborate with multiple internal stakeholders
- University Bachelor’s Degree qualification
OTHER PREFERRED ATTRIBUTES:
- Sales coaching and leadership qualifications
- Approaches to driving sales performance, gamification and competition
- Experience in managing a team using Salesforce, ideally with implementation experience
This job description sets out the duties of the position at the time that it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or level of responsibility entailed.
- Competitive salary
- Volunteering days per year
- Day off for your birthday
- Balanced working structure
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Full Public transport commuting expenses covered
- Training and development
- International travel
Candidates must be eligible to work in the country for which they are applying.