Head of Content Acquisition (APAC)
- Room#2102-2103 Culture Square, No.59 Jia Zhongguancun St., Haidian district, Beijing, China, Beijing, China
- Employees can work remotely
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group operates globally and produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realize their individual potential.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers
It is an exciting time to join Taylor & Francis as the world of academic publishing continues to evolve and experience substantial growth, and because of this we are looking to hire a Head of Content Acquisition.
Your initial remit will be to set up a highly efficient and dedicated team of Commissioning Editors on a global scale, who will be tasked to bring in high quality original research articles for the Researchers Services open access portfolios. Reporting to the SVP of Researcher Services and Networks and closely with complementary teams across Researcher Services, you will initiate and oversee a highly structured and scalable content development, article solicitation and commissioning strategy across all disciplines, monitoring and refining the strategy as necessary to ensure a continuous pipeline of new article content to meet defined targets. The role will also be hands-on in both identifying market trends and strategic growth areas and engaging with researchers (including the candidates’ existing network of academic contacts) to build awareness of the benefits of publishing open research with T&F to contribute to driving volumes of high-quality content.
You will have demonstrable experience of developing and delivering a content development strategy and have experience of managing a team and building and refining effective workflows and processes to ensure that the system is highly scalable.
Closing date for applications: 10th December 2021
What you’ll be doing:
- Recruit and train a team of Commissioning Specialists and managers for Researcher Services
- Determine and then set up structured workflows, systems, tools and practices, both for within the team and in relation to working with other relevant teams, to create a highly structured system that is easily scalable
- Manage the team, set and deliver commissioning targets, and oversee the strategies they are using to deliver against those targets
- Monitor and refine the commissioning strategy to deliver an ongoing solid pipeline of new article content to meet defined targets
- Network with and engage with key target researchers and research groups through a range of approaches including 1:1 discussions, presentations/webinars, conference attendance etc.
- Network within expert communities to ensure content is targeted and developed effectively.
- Regularly conduct structured and data-driven analysis of relevant fields using a range of tools to determine areas of growth and potential rich opportunities for commissioning
- Identify key target individuals and groups in those communities and use this to develop and implement a structured commissioning plan
- Oversee liaison with marketing to ensure coordinated and effective development and delivery of supportive resources and marketing activities
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 4-5 years demonstrable experience of commissioning original research, with an existing network of relevant contacts
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Experience of line managing an efficient and effective commissioning team
- Experience of running, monitoring and refining commissioning workflows
- Strong understanding of effective commissioning workflows, and associated systems and tools needed to manage them efficiently and track progress and provide reporting
- Excellent analytical skills, and strong familiarity with key databases and tools to analyse and monitor scientific fields and identify growth areas
- Strong organisational skills, efficiency and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise effectively and to work to (often competing) deadlines
- A positive and proactive approach to problem solving both in daily tasks and more complex trouble-shooting
- Able to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- A high level of computer literacy (including MS Office, Outlook and internet browsers)
- Active interest in open access, open data and open science, as well as in publishing and related matters.
Skills and behaviors required:
- Dynamic and Organised
- Excellent Management and interpersonal skills
- Analytical approach
- A trail-blazer in research communication
- A passion to identify new ways to validate and share research
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days’ annual leave
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
- This is a global role and we currently have capacity for this role to be based in either Europe (UK, Germany or Switzerland), East Coast US or within one of our Asia Pacific regions, however you must have the right to live and work within the location you reside in
- APAC locations, including: China Mainland; Hong Kong, S.A.R., China; Taiwan, China; Singapore; Japan; South Korea; Australia; Malaysia.
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.