Senior Editor - Economics Textbooks
- Park Drive, Abingdon, England, United Kingdom
- Employees can work remotely
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.
Leading international academic publisher Routledge, part of the Taylor and Francis Group, are currently looking to recruit a Senior Editor to take charge of their Economics Textbooks list.
This is a unique opportunity to take the reins of one of Routledge’s leading textbook lists, working with authors from across the world on topics spanning the core to the cutting edge. Routledge is a leading publisher in political economy, with authors ranging from Friedrich Hayek to Yanis Varoufakis. We publish in all key areas across economics and finance, and are ahead of the curve in new areas and approaches to teaching, covering topics such as the economics of inequality, pandemic economics and behavioural economics. We publish market leading texts in areas including agricultural economics, environmental and natural resource economics and political economy.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated candidate to commission student focused books and digital learning resources to agreed revenue and profitability targets, growing our publishing portfolio and meeting strategic goals. The role involves managing key stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally, and working with a collegiate attitude within a thriving team of editors and editorial assistants. The Senior Editor will be a product champion for books which have always represented a plurality of insights and views in economics and political economy, and which continue to inspire future generations of economics graduates.
Closing date for applications: November 26th, 2021
What you’ll be doing:
- Commissioning new books and new editions that respond to current market needs, and generating new leads;
- Researching the field to identify the most profitable commissioning opportunities to target, and identifying changes and developments in higher education teaching in the relevant areas;
- Researching, developing and commissioning appropriate digital learning resources;
- Managing contracted titles to schedule and to budget;
- Liaising closely with authors, series editors, and internal colleagues in editorial, production, marketing, and sales, and acting as a product champion;
- Extensive digital networking, with the possibility of some UK/ international travel in the future.
What we are looking for:
- The successful applicant should possess:
- Strong commercial awareness and the ability to interpret financial data;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Strong publishing knowledge and the ability to quickly develop subject knowledge across a range of areas;
- Time management, prioritisation and organisational skills, and the ability to work on your own initiative;
- Superb team-working skills, to work with internal and external contacts at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience of commissioning academic books is essential. An interest in economics and related areas would be welcomed, but a background in this subject is not a requirement.
What we offer in return:
- A competitive salary Circa £39k pa
- 25 days annual leave
- A discretionary additional 3 days at Christmas
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development opportunities
You must have the right to work and live in the UK.
This role is open to candidates in all locations across the UK. Taylor & Francis has multiple options for how employees can work based on their role – be that in the office, at home or somewhere in between.
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law. This role may also be available on a flexible working or part time basis – please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/career