Group Operations Manager
- World Trade Centre Metro Footbridge - Trade Centre - Trade Centre 1 - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Informa PLC is a leading international events, intelligence and scholarly research group.
Our purpose is to champion the specialist. Through hundreds of powerful brands we work with businesses and professionals in specialist markets, providing the connections, intelligence and opportunities that help customers grow, do business, make breakthroughs and take better informed decisions. Informa is listed on London Stock Exchange and a member of FTSE 100, with over 11,000 colleagues working in more than 30 countries.
Each of our five operating divisions has a distinct focus:
Informa Connect aims to provide expert content you cannot Google, and access to specialist networks and communities, through major branded annual events and specialist digital communities and content services.
Informa Intelligence provides specialist digital information and data products, consultancy and research services to over 25,000 business worldwide, helping companies make better informed decisions and gain competitive edge.
Informa Markets creates global platforms for industries, specialist markets and customers to trade, innovate and grow, delivering over 550 events annually, specialist digital content and actionable data solutions.
Informa Tech aims to inspire the global technology community to design, build and run a better digital world by providing research, media, training and events to specialist technology communities worldwide.
Taylor & Francis commissions, curates, produces and publishes scholarly research and reference-led content in specialist subject areas, advancing research and enabling knowledge to be discovered and shared.
Our sixth division is Global Support, which provides shared, efficient business services and function-specific expertise to each of Informa's operating divisions.
The Group Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the professional operational delivery of events, features and projects within your allocated portfolio(s). You will ensure that all are delivered to the highest possible standards and to the satisfaction of all parties involved consistently throughout the year.
You will be the main operational point of contact for the commercial teams and senior leaders in your allocated portfolio(s). You will also be a key member of the EMEA operations management team and will be expected to forge strong links, achieve process alignment & operational synergy within the EMEA ops team across the region as well as globally where applicable.
In collaboration with the Regional Operations Director EMEA, you will be responsible for the resourcing and scheduling of the operations team members for the events within your allocated portfolio(s) and will line manage a number of reports on a day to day basis as well as remotely manage local Operations team members globally where applicable, each of these team members may be allocated across multiple events throughout the year requiring you to work alongside other members of the EMEA operations management team to effectively balance workloads & priorities for each team member individually.
The Group Operations Manager should lead by example and demonstrate a professional responsibility to the department at all times, confidently communicating on all levels internally and externally.
Key Performance Indicators
· Have a complete oversight and management of, the operational delivery of your allocated portfolio(s) of events.
· Takes final responsibility that all Ops requirements are fully achieved in your allocated portfolio(s) of events.
· Be the key point of contact for the show teams in all matters, internal and external for your portfolio(s).
· Working with the EMEA Operations Management team to establish excellent service & meet stakeholder expectations.
· Justifies and explains the reasoning behind decisions stating the business case as necessary.
· Overall accountability for setting, regular forecasting & achieving operational show budgets.
· Ensure all operational tasks are carried out on a timely basis according to individual project plans and within deadlines set.
· Ensuring all events & line reports are working within the company’s H&S, Security & Sustainability guidelines at all times
· Creation, Management and implementation of internal and external Service Level Agreements.
· Adhere to all Informa compliance requirements and monitor direct report & supplier performance accordingly to ensure they do likewise.
· Contribute to the successful and collaborative management of the EMEA operations department aiming for operational synergy across EMEA.
· Perform any other duties commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility
Management & Leadership
· Work with your allocated Operations team members gathering the event team’s requirements, understanding their strategy, key components for fulfilment - ensuring the project plan fits these needs.
· Accountability for your allocated Operations team members completing event reports and KPI analysis on each event at the end of cycle.
· Manage, mentor & develop line reports & others within the EMEA Operations team aiding retention thus ensuring the team is maintained at optimum levels
· Setting, monitoring & management of direct reports’ performance objectives, career development planning and setting long term personal goals.
· Identifying what skills are needed to undertake future activities and ensuring the team have the capacity and capability to meet the requirements.
· Adapting leadership style, communications and solutions to suit different team members and situations.
· Ongoing monitoring and management of performance for all line reports according to company standards at all times.
· Regular & effective 1-2-1 meetings with direct reports, Regional Operations Director, members of the EMEA Operations Management Team and any other key stakeholders to ensure accurate planning and strategic direction maximising operational performance.
· Share your best practice examples with other teams in order to enhance their capabilities and to create a more consistent ‘Informa experience’.
· Monitor best practice in other companies and bring your insights to Informa in order to keep us ahead of the competition.
· Overall accountability for your direct reports & their production, communication and implementation of individual show project plans ensuring all tasks are carried out on a timely basis & within deadlines set.
· Attendance & contribution at event strategy days upon request.
· Post event KPI Reporting and analysis with ability to set objectives for team members to improve service delivery YOY.
· In collaboration with the Procurement team, monitor the ongoing performance of key contractors and troubleshoot / identify remedial action as required on events through the SRM programme governance.
· Providing information for assessment collating suitable reports & dashboards for use in SMT decision making.
Compliance / legal / H&S / Sustainability
· In collaboration with the Procurement team, agree, contribute or lead as relevant, the procurement activity for your allocated portfolio(s) throughout the year through utilisation of Coupa.
· In collaboration with the Technical Services team and Group HSS ensure your direct reports, events & suppliers meet or exceed our H&S requirements. Work on remedial measures where necessary.
· Be an active partner of the EMEA Sustainability team and look for opportunities to support and enhance our sustainability initiatives.
· Be an avid promoter & implementer of our Better Stands Programme within your allocated portfolio(s).
· Work with the Experience Manager on the implementation of changes / improvements to the Customer Journey. Support this work to ensure consistent operational delivery.
· Leads by example to ensure Ops team know what customer service level is expected.
· Sets up routes of communication, constructive feedback with internal and external parties to ensure best customer experience at all times.
· Continually evaluates processes to ensure they are appropriate for customer needs.
· Ensures customer feedback is translated into future process changes.
· An expert understanding of events, at both a strategic and detailed, technical level with a proven working knowledge of the exhibition industry, venues and contractors.
· Ability to take a strategic view, and to flit seamlessly between granular detail and long-term vision on a day to day basis.
· Must have independently and successfully managed operations on multiple large events to a consistently high standard.
· Experience of managing, supporting & developing multiple line reports simultaneously.
· Strong existing network of high-quality suppliers to the exhibition industry
· Effective communication skills – being able to liaise with Operations team members as well as working with & reporting to Director Level individuals throughout the portfolio(s).
· Familiarity with good procurement practices
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire and motivate others, thinking outside the box for creative solutions.
· Ability to anticipate problems and/or put contingency plans in place
· A proven ability to work to tight deadlines, with attention to detail under pressure is a pre requisite.
· Willingness and ability to travel / work across differing timezones especially within the EMEA region
· Proven knowledge of exhibition H&S Guidelines and implementation.
· Computer literate and proficient in the use of commonly used business software
· Effective verbal and written English communication skills
· IOSH Managing Safety Certificate (or equivalent) as a minimum.
· Professional customer focused attitude; ability to stay calm and patient under pressure
· Positive attitude and open minded; ability to listen to others views and opinions
· Forward thinking, flexible and able to trouble shoot
· Team player; good humoured
· Act with integrity
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment and respectful of other cultures
· Flexibility and adaptability