Assistant Editor - Life Sciences (F1000)
- Blackfriars Rd, London SE1, UK
- Employees can work remotely
F1000, fosters a culture of innovation to accelerate the reach of knowledge and put it in the hands of those who will shape the future. We provide open research publishing solutions and services to organizations such as the European Commission, Wellcome, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, as well as directly to researchers through our own publishing platform, F1000Research.
F1000 is wholly owned by, and is the open research arm of, Taylor & Francis, an Informa Group company. Taylor & Francis partners with researchers, scholarly societies, universities and libraries worldwide to bring knowledge to life. As one of the world’s leading publishers of scholarly journals, books, eBooks and reference works, its content spans all areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Behavioural Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, well-organised individual with strong English language skills, excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and a good eye for detail to join the team as an Assistant Editor on F1000Research (F1000Research.com) and across our open research platforms (openresearchcentral.org), including our publishing platforms for Wellcome and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The role will involve a wide range of tasks including assessing articles and associated research data for appropriateness and editorial quality, some basic editing and tagging, and communication with external members of the research community.
The successful candidate will also need to be a strong team player who enjoys interacting with people, and be fully computer literate. Previous editorial experience is desirable but not necessary as full training will be provided.
What you will be doing:
- Processing submissions for appropriateness and editorial quality, with some basic editing where required
- Appropriate tagging of submissions to the relevant scientific sections within the database
- Providing support for authors using our online submission systems, and managing the resolution of any queries with the appropriate individuals within the team
- Maintaining content management databases and ensuring all information is up-to-date and accurate
- Providing cover for, and assistance to, other team members as required
- Suggesting improvements to working practices of the team
What we are looking for:
- Subject knowledge is desirable
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoys interacting with people
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong English language skills
- Aptitude for understanding technical issues
- Computer skills essential – especially Word, Excel, Internet searching - and understanding of an online environment
- Pro-active, resourceful and a good team player
- Adaptable and willing to take on new and different responsibilities as they arise
What we offer in return:
- Circa £25,000 per annum
- 25 days annual leave
- 3 additional days at Christmas (discretionary)
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
This role is open to candidates in all locations across the United Kingdom. Taylor & Francis has multiple options for how employees can work based on their role – be that in the office, at home or somewhere in between.
This role can be based remotely although occasional travel to our offices in London will be required.
Closing date: 09/11/2021
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
We know that sometimes the perfect candidate doesn’t exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don’t fit all the requirements. If you’re excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we’re looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating-supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.