Editorial Assistant – Philosophy
- 605 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10158, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.
Taylor & Francis Group, a leading international academic publisher, has an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to join the Routledge Books Philosophy list. You will report directly to the US-based Editor who oversees the scholarly research section of the Philosophy list.
The Editorial Assistant will support the Editor across all phase of the book publication process, from the conceptual stage through to publication, to achieve agreed targets for the list. They will act as a main point of contact for colleagues, authors and other stakeholders and be responsible for maintaining databases, passing manuscripts to production, drafting contracts, and commissioning peer reviews of proposals and manuscripts.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the academic publishing industry. We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic candidate with excellent organizational and communication skills, strong attention to detail, and a real interest in working as part of a team.
What you'll be doing:
- Liaising with authors to keep books on schedule, including monitoring due dates for manuscripts and related book materials
- Preparing manuscripts for transmittal to production, ensuring permissions have been cleared
- Tracking projects throughout the reviewing, development, production, and publication stages
- Preparing and administering contracts for authors, editors, and contributors
- Implementing and overseeing the peer-review process for new book proposals and manuscripts
- Liaising and collaborating with other departments, including production, marketing, sales, royalties, and accounts payable
- Answering routine author queries, including liaising with other departments as appropriate
- Ensuring books databases are up to date with accurate information
- General administration for the list, including making payments and ordering complimentary copies
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong time management skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize a varied workload
- Meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to meet deadlines and to work efficiently, calmly, and to a high standard under pressure
- Proven track record of delivering results against targets
- The ability to work both as part of a team and under own initiative, with a flexible, positive approach to helping others
- The ability to take the initiative to anticipate and resolve problems
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ample paid time off
- Sick time
- Medical & vision benefits
- Volunteering days per year
- Day off for your birthday
- 401(k) match
- Flexible working schedule
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
- You must have the right to work and live in United States
- This role is open to candidates on the east coast to allow the most overlapping hours to work with UK based colleagues.
- Taylor & Francis has multiple options for how employees can work based on their role – be that in the office, at home or somewhere in between.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.