- 5 Howick Pl, London SW1P 1DE, UK
Informa is a leading international events, intelligence and scholarly research group operating in the Knowledge and Information Economy. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 100. We operate in more than 30 countries and employ over 11,000 people globally.
Informa’s leading brands and expert teams create intelligence-based products and data-driven services, convene communities in person and digitally and provide access to cutting-edge research for customers working in specialist markets, worldwide.
The Legal Team is a highly respected and valued business partner to the Informa Group. It has lawyers based principally in North America, the UK and Asia and has a mixture of leaders and experts in subject areas (such as Intellectual Property, Technology, Mergers & Acquisitions, Employment) and geographies, providing global advice in a timely and often business critical environment.
The Team has played a pivotal role to the Group’s growth where it has assisted the business with its acquisition strategy, supporting the successful execution of numerous transactions that have helped grow the company from a market capitalisation of around £2.7bn at the start of 2014 to over £8bn today. Together with assisting the Group with its recent significant investment in new platforms, systems and product launches alongside BAU activities, this has resulted in the Group climbing quickly from a FTSE 250 company to a company today within the FTSE 100 with significant global operations in a number of markets and regions.
More recently in response to the pandemic, the Team has mobilised quickly with the business to support the swift digitalisation of events, negotiated with suppliers and customers in relation to postponing physical events and supported significant equity and debt capital financing to ensure the Group’s finances remain in a strong position to allow the business to move forward with confidence. The Group is now entering into an exciting new phase as it looks to move forward from the impact of the pandemic and build back stronger with the recent announcement of its GAP (Growth Acceleration Plan) II programme.
In 2017, the Team’s successes were externally recognised winning Legal Weeks “In-house TMT Team of the Year” award and in 2019 it was short-listed for The Lawyer’s “In-house TMT Team of the Year” award.
We are currently recruiting for a Legal Counsel position with a broad commercial remit.
This role is expected to assume the following key responsibilities:
- Principally assisting the lead lawyers in Global Support, Informa Intelligence, Informa Connect and Informa Tech for the EMEA and APAC regions in providing all legal advice which is expected to include:
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts including customer contracts, master services agreements, collaboration agreements, distribution and agency agreements, outsourcing agreements, supplier agreements, technology contracts, sponsorship agreements and contractual joint ventures
- Assisting and advising on copyright and trademark disputes
- Assisting and advising on disputes, including letters before action
- Liaising with and instructing external counsel where necessary
- assisting with development and delivery of training on legal topics to Divisional Colleagues
- working with members of the Team to audit, update and modify standard template contracts as and when
- A qualified lawyer with up to 1 year post qualification experience (PQE is given as a guide only, this will not be a determining factor of suitability and applicants of other levels of PQE may apply) excellent academics and commercial experience gained in a well-respected law firm with secondment experience or an in-house role. The role would ideally suit someone who is low-ego but high EQ.
- Ability to formulate and offer creative solutions to commercial problems
- Some experience of cross-border work will be an advantage as would experience in intellectual property or technology legal work
- Ability to exercise commercial judgment enabling consideration of legal requests in a commercial, constructive and business-sympathetic way, balancing business needs with legal risk
- An approachable personal style and ability to communicate at all levels in the organisation and build strong internal and external relationships
- Good team player who has a growth mindset and a desire to assist with a variety of tasks
- The ability to present clearly and effectively, especially to distil complex technical concepts into business terms
- A self-starting attitude with flexible but robust approach with the ability to work autonomously and prioritise in a fast-moving “need it now” environment. To that end, an individual who is able to think creatively and work in a low-process culture will be highly desirable.
Alongside a competitive salary, Informa also offers the following employee benefits:
- Season ticket loan & Cycle2work
- Money purchased pension scheme & life assurance
- Eye care and childcare vouchers
- 25 days annual holiday, increasing to 27 days after 2 years, plus an extra day off for your birthday and another for raising money for charity!
- Our Learning team supports year-round development, with face-to-face training, mentoring and access to LinkedIn Learning
- Informa's colleague Share Incentive Plan matches every share purchased with 2 free shares
- Informa offers a £250 Healthy Lifestyle subsidy to spend on fitness activities and classes
- You are given permission to take 4 days off per year to volunteer with an approved scheme
- Modern office in a central location
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.