Book Commissioning Editor, Computer Science and Statistics
- Suite 2, Level 2, 11 Queen's Road, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Employees can work remotely
CRC Press, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
CRC Press is a premier global publisher of science, technology, and medical resources. We offer unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery worldwide. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding in the sciences, providing researchers, academics, professionals, and students with the tools they need to share ideas and realize their potential.
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realize their individual potential.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers
CRC Press (part of the Taylor and Francis Group) is looking for an Editor to help build our growing portfolio of scholarly books and textbooks in all areas of computer science/IT and statistics including, but not limited to, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Games/Graphics, Visualization, Software Engineering.
The Editor will commission new titles from authors based primarily in Australia and New Zealand to help expand our academic, textbook and professional book publishing programme.
Advert. Closing Date: May 17th 2021
What you'll be doing:
Your job responsibilities may include the following but not limited to:
- In consultation with the Publisher, meet demanding annual commissioning and revenue goals, commissioning new professional titles, research monographs and textbooks that respond to current market and research needs;
- Meet annual frontlist plans, working closely with an editorial assistant to ensure that manuscript submission, production, and publishing deadlines are met;
- Extensive research of the computer science and statistics markets through networking, online lead generation and virtual campus calling and virtual conference attendance throughout Australia and New Zealand;
- Close liaison with authors, series editors, as well as internal colleagues in editorial, production, marketing, and sales.
- Degree level or equivalent professional qualification;
- Experience working in academic publishing in an editorial role;
- Book commissioning experience would be an advantage;
- Ability to organise and prioritise numerous tasks and to work on your own initiative;
- Excellent team-working skills to deal with internal and external contacts at all levels;
- Ability to work with demanding stakeholders in a diplomatic and assertive manner;
- A resourceful and proactive attitude in dealing with problems and queries;
- Good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Strong word processing, spreadsheet, and database skills;
- A background in Computer Science or Statistics is not necessary but would be an advantage.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days’ annual leave
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
- You must be in Australia and have the right to work and live in Australia.
- You will report to the Publisher for Asia Pacific, based in Singapore.
- Travel, around Australia and New Zealand to visit universities and colleges and attend conferences (once COVID-19 restrictions allow) may be required.
- A cover letter would be appreciated.
- Kindly note that this is not a writing/journalism/copy-editing position
- The role will initially be home-based, subject to review when Covid-19 restrictions ease
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.