Senior Mechanical / Value Engineer
- 407 W Vine St, Hatfield, PA 19440, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Brooks Instrument, a global manufacturer of flow and pressure measurement and control products for critical applications, and a division of ITW (A Fortune 200 Company) is seeking candidates for a Senior Mechanical / Value Engineer. This position will be based out of our headquarters location at Hatfield, PA (Suburban Philadelphia). Brooks maintains manufacturing, sales, and service center facilities around the world, and our products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, petro-chemicals, semiconductor, analytical instrumentation, nuclear, and solar cells.
This job description covers multiple opportunities for an experienced Senior Mechanical /Value Engineer to join a Brooks Instrument product specific Engineering team. The engineer will be tasked to improve the quality, manufacturability, cost, and performance of mechanical flow measurement and control technologies (sensors, valves, meter bodies, flow elements, enclosures, etc.) used in Brooks Instrument flow and pressure measurement products. Work also includes support of new product introductions to ensure they meet project schedules and are compatible with factory methods and processes. This individual must be self-directed, highly motivated, and organized with strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills. They must also possess the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a cross-functional team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Improve mechanical designs and processes for mass flow controllers and variable area meters to support product quality, yield improvements, and scrap reduction.
- Lead cross-functional Design for Manufacturability (DFM) initiatives that result in lower costs and improved product quality.
- Direct the design and modifications of molded, welded, etched, stamped, machined, and extruded components. Complete design documentation changes.
- Support customer special requests by completing design studies and analysis of special variants of legacy flow control instruments.
- Develop and document CAD models and drawings in SolidWorks, Siemens NX and AutoCAD.
- Use MAPICS ERP and Teamcenter PLM to maintain and archive design and manufacturing documentation.
- Initiate and assist in implementation of Engineering Change Notices. Develop inputs for engineering change workflows, support documentation through sign-off, release, and first article acquisition.
- Give direction to and/or perform the validation testing of mechanical design changes by developing plans and assisting Reliability Engineering.
- Support product build and test process improvements.
- Follow Brooks Instrument best practices and industry standards for mechanical design and documentation.
- Participate in design reviews and mechanical design process improvement projects.
- Support the company’s continuous improvement initiatives, particularly as related to product quality. Support Quality organization root cause problem solving initiatives.
- Support factory expansion projects, reconfigurations, and optimization of worldwide manufacturing capacity.
- Support development of new suppliers, material sources and obsolete part alternatives.
- Comply with Brooks Instrument zero accident safety policy, maintain and enhance department safety policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of mechanical design, machining, and fabrication processes for metals, elastomers, and plastics.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a high degree of initiative, creativity, and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to lead and make technical contributions to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong interpersonal skills, desire to learn, and an effective team player in a global environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical part specification, report writing, and development of engineering standards.
- Ability to read and understand detailed technical drawings, specifications, and bill of material structures.
- Proficient in 3D CAD modeling and drawing generation. Solidworks preferred.
- Working knowledge of industry standards for design drafting, materials, safety, quality, and end user applications including ANSI, SAE, and ASME, and ISO 9001
- Knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 GD&T standards.
- Proficient in the use of product lifecycle/data management systems, ERP, automated change management systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
Education and Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering required from an ABET accredited institution, MS in Mechanical Engineering is a plus.
- 5+ years’ experience in mechanical design and documentation is required.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment in a new product development or product support role. Experience in a regulated industry environment is a plus along with experience supporting domestic and offshore suppliers.
Our employees enjoy competitive, merit-based salary plus excellent benefits including:
- Health and dental insurance
- Company Paid Life Insurance / Short and Long Term Disability
- 401K plan with generous company match
- Vacation, personal days and holidays
- Continuing education reimbursement program
- Flexible spending accounts
The opportunity to join a well established (70 + years in business) yet dynamically changing organization that works together as a team to meet the challenges of satisfying customers’ needs and managing rapid growth to better compete in a global marketplace.
ITW Company Overview
ITW was built on innovation and the strength of new ideas. These values have helped us expand into multiple platforms in nearly 60 countries. But at each of our businesses, the independent entrepreneurial spirit and freedom to innovate remain strong. It’s the highly talented people at ITW businesses all over the world who drive our success through new products and customer driven solutions. Together, we are ITW—a Fortune 200 company that has prospered for 100 years, and changed the way people live and work, all over the world.
Please visit our website: http://www.brooksinstrument.com/
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without required to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.