Sr. Mechanical Engineer – R&D
- 825 University Ave, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Instron is a clear global leader in materials testing applications and its leadership in the marketplace is continually expanding. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
We are looking to strengthen the engineering group within the product R&D organization and have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer. Projects range in size from designing small mechanisms and test fixtures through to more complex full machine and system designs. In this position you will be responsible for a number of concurrent projects or tasks including customer research, design, build, test, reporting and optimization. You will have responsibility for meeting design specifications, project schedules and overall ownership of the activities required to complete the projects. You will work in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment where frequent interaction with vendors and suppliers, other multi-disciplined engineers, as well as team members in other Instron® departments.
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering with 7-10 year’s experience in the design, development and launch of complex electro-mechanical products.
- Experience in machine design that has incorporated machine elements, mechanical drive systems, sensors, kinematic principles and/or mechanisms, electro-mechanical packaging, design for cost and manufacturability. Experience designing sophisticated, precision mechanisms.
- Propose new design concepts from customer feedback, requests and pain points.
- Understanding and experience with principles in systems testing and design verification including: setting up and conducting tests, data acquisition, statistical analysis, summarizing data and writing reports
- Experience with CAD and FEA design software such as SolidWorks (or equiv.), GD&T, BOMs, mechanical drawings, ECOs
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as machining, sheet metal, injection molding, finishing, materials, fastening, assembly operations
- Experience with software such as Excel, Powerpoint, Minitab, Agile
- Familiarity of other disciplines such as Electrical, Firmware and Software Engineering as they pertain to conceptualizing and architecting the mechanical design direction as well as system level of projects
- Experience in the product development and launch stage-gate process carrying a product from concept through to launch.
- Working with other organizations such as marketing, manufacturing and service to incorporate their requirements into the design direction.
- Proven strong attention to detail, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, and the ability to create, collaborate and work within team environments.
- Ability to coach and mentor the less experienced engineers on best practices in mechanical engineering, machine design and CAD.
Take this opportunity to join a professional and successful team where you can make a significant impact immediately. Enjoy competitive compensation and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, paid parental leave, 401k (with match), and a generous tuition reimbursement program.
Instron is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.