Electrical Engineer – R&D
- 825 University Ave, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Instron is a clear global leader in materials testing applications and its leadership in the marketplace is continually expanding. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
This position requires a hands-on individual with expertise in all aspects of electronic design utilized for test and measurement machines. The candidate should have a fundamental understanding of the product development process and should have in-depth experience in analog and digital circuit and cable designs. He or she will be responsible for conceptualization, design, development, and documentation of electronic designs for new and existing instrumentation in accordance with general and machine safety compliance. Design for reliability, EMC / EMI, manufacturability, and serviceability is a must.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs such tasks as research and development of part or all of a product, and preparation of product and project documents and reports.
- May supervise or coordinate the work of associate engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who are assigned to the same task and/or project.
- May participate in coordinating project activity, product introduction and/or sales order requirements with customer representatives and Engineering, Marketing, and Manufacturing personnel.
- Evaluates electrical systems, products, components, and applications by designing and conducting research programs, applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
- Confirms system's and components' capabilities by designing testing methods, testing properties.
- Develops electrical products by studying customer and marketing requirements, researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
- Contributes to multi-disciplinary team (Electrical/Mechanical/Firmware/Software) effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Create robust and reliable embedded electrical designs in the test and measurement field.
- Develop and document designs for release to manufacturing.
- Implement new technologies, techniques and concepts to enable functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce overall manufacturing costs.
- Troubleshoot system and board level failures; implement resolutions to prevent recurrence.
- B.S.or M.S in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Schematic Capture and PCB Layout Experience Required (Altium preferred)
- Experience with Embedded Design and microprocessors such as (32-Bit/ARM Processors)
- Experience with machine design components such as motors, motion control, sensor interfaces, interlocks, data acquisition and processing is a plus
- Experience with lab equipment such as Analyzers, oscilloscopes, DVMs, multifunction generators, etc.
- Understanding and developing products from prototype to production
- Basic knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory, DC/DC switching power supply design, analog and digital design, various communications protocols (i.e Ethernet, USB, CAN, SPI, RS232, and I2C)
- Oral and written communication skills (includes technical writing)
- Ability to:
- Demonstrate decision making
- Learn to apply new engineering theories and concepts to complex problems
- Interpret codes, regulations and practices
- Develop effective planning, project and organization skills
- Work and collaborate within a team environment
- Analytical, abstract thinking, and problem solving skills
- Embedded programming experience (i.e. C\C++, VHDL)
- Familiarity with source code control tools (Git)
- High Speed digital design (HDMI, USB 3.0)
- Knowledge of the Machinery Directive and its harmonized standards
- Knowledge of IEC 61508
- Knowledge of IEC 61000-4-2/3/4/5/6/8
Take this opportunity to join a professional and successful team where you can make a significant impact immediately. Enjoy competitive compensation and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, paid parental leave, 401k (with match), and a generous tuition reimbursement program.
Instron is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.