Field Service Repair Technician
- 41 Waukegan Rd, Lake Bluff, IL 60044, USA
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 85 years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
This key position will be responsible for providing after sales and warranty service including installations, breakdowns, contract servicing, calibration and customer training for our wide range of servo-hydraulic and electro-mechanical products. This position will be based out of our Lake Bluff, IL facility.
This key position will be responsible for providing after-sales and warranty service including installations, breakdowns, contract servicing, calibration, and customer training for our wide range of servo-hydraulic and electro-mechanical products. This position will be based out of our Lake Bluff, IL facility.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on all Buehler product lines in Lake Bluff or in the field This includes:
- Using schematics, diagrams, technical manuals
- Disassembling, replacing, or repairing defective parts
- Rewiring electronics
- Testing, adjusting and calibrating
- Provide remote technical support via telephone and ticketing system. This includes guiding to simple fixes and recommending spare parts
- Maintain part inventory
- Complete necessary documentation to support service work
- Report feedback to Engineering regarding product serviceability to inform new product development
- Report feedback to Engineering regarding common repairs to inform quality improvements
- Provide input on service manuals
- Create training documentation to train distributors as well as other technicians
- Manage travel expenses in line with ITW guidelines
- Advise the Service Manager of activity/changes and customer feedback
- Increase company growth through identifying sales opportunities, and recommending products/services to customers
- Be a positive ambassador for Buehler in all customer interactions
- Position requires routine walking, bending, kneeling, and squatting, sitting, standing, reaching, and twisting
- Must perform work from floor level to above shoulder height.
- Must be able to lift/lower/carry up to 50 pounds
- Must climb ladders and/or scaffolds and work above floor height.
- Must crouch, stoop, or squat to work inside or under equipment, or move through low headroom spaces
- Position requires routine pushing, pulling, grasping, and manual dexterity in the use of hands, arms and shoulders
- Push/pull wheeled transporters and/or palletized product using up to approximately 50 lbs. of force
- Associates Degree in Electronics, Mechanical or similar certification, required
- 1+ year(s) of related experience, or a High School Diploma/GED with a minimum of 5 years experience of field-based maintenance and troubleshooting of electronic instrumentation or other similar equipment down to component level
- Electronics background a plus
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand mechanical drawings
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools, machine tools, and precision measuring instruments
- A valid driver’s license with a clean record is required
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes outside “normal business hours”
- Must be able to travel (50-70%)
- A professional demeanor and good customer handling skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
- Good organizational skills with a self-motivated & flexible approach to work
- Demonstrated safety awareness
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.