Quality Manufacturing Engineer
- 41 Waukegan Rd, Lake Bluff, IL 60044, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
This key position provides Manufacturing and Quality Engineering support to ensure delivery of the highest quality parts and products to the end customer. Leading the investigation, correction and prevention of Customer Initial Quality defects and Assembly defects will be key responsibilities for this role.
- Root cause analysis (RCA) champion for Customer Initial Quality and Assembly First Pass Yield (FPY) defects.
- Utilizing RCA methodologies and leveraging Quality team members and other departments, determine root cause of customer Initial quality defects (including Out of Box warranty reports) and Assembly FPY defects
- In conjunction with Quality and other functions, develop containment plans to minimize the impact of defects on Customers and Assembly
- Collaborate with the Operations and Engineering teams to categorize and prioritize Initial Quality and FPY defects based on key factors including product classification and non-value add assembly time
- Assign items to appropriate functions to develop and implement corrective and preventive actions plans
- Formulate Corrective And Preventive Action (CAPA) plans, and implement actions to improve quality
- Develop searchable RCA data set to be used in performing Advance Product Quality Planning (APQP) analysis, including Process and Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (PFMEA/DFMEA) reviews
- Lead Buehler’s metrology and instrument program, including recommending, maintaining and operating dimensional measurement equipment to check defective items and sample key dimensions on supplier first article submissions.
- Manage instrument calibration intervals and calibration database.
- Review engineering drawings and Engineering Change Notifications (ECN’s) for critical dimensions, tolerance and manufacturability.
- Provide technical guidance to manufacturing operators for new process, sorting, testing, and inspection activities and to implement ECN’s.
- Manage quality review and action for the assigned product families’ assembly rejects.
- Lead and support Assembly Toolbox projects like Understand, Simplify Act (USa) and In-lining projects.
- Lead and support continuous improvement process for the overall assembly process optimization to reduce assembly hours or improve quality.
- Select and implement assembly tools, keeping safety and ergonomics in mind and to train operators in the assembly process and use of related tools.
- BS Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering and minimum 3 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment with electro-mechanical assembly or 10 years’ experience as Manufacturing Supervisor in electromechanical equipment manufacturing assembly environment
- Awareness of manufacturing tools, and experience working in production of precision technical plans, drawings and models
- Should have a proactive approach, high sense of urgency and preventive mindset to identify manufacturing problems as early as possible, and to implement necessary measures to deliver on time a quality product while promoting a safe production environment
- Strong collaborator and able to partner with key cross functional teams such as: Engineering, Production Assembly, Procurement and Product Management.
- Customer focused, understanding the criticality of maintaining excellent Quality, On Time delivery and cost
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.