Software Engineer - TIG
- N822 Communication Dr, Appleton, WI 54914, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
TIG Solutions is looking for a highly motivated individual for the position of Software Engineer focused on developing and sustaining software in support of New Product Development and sustaining engineering initiatives. This position will require an individual with a foundation of embedded software, experience and the motivation to learn the advanced technologies used in welding products.
- Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude. In addition to collaborating with other software engineers, the ideal candidate will effectively work with power electronics engineers, mechanical engineers, welding engineers, project managers, product managers, and customers. The ideal individual should be accustomed to working with a sense of urgency while balancing calculated risks. This individual must be self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Primary responsibilities include design, development, test, and support of embedded device software. A critical part of this role is integrating embedded controls to achieve arc characteristics that continue delivering world-class arc welding performance.
This person will:
· Take projects from original concept through final implementation
· Manage the software design, programming, and development of divisional projects
· Participate in project meetings and be responsible for assigned action items
· Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables
· Identify innovative patentable solutions to end market needs
· Participate in topical software roundtable discussions to impact process improvements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent required.
- Three (3) or more years of experience with demonstrated credibility and track record in embedded programming, to specify, architect, design, code, test, troubleshoot and support embedded applications in a team environment.
- Proficiency with software development processes and tools such as requirements management, design modeling / UML, software architecture, configuration management, software testing, task/issue/defect tracking and review
- Proficiency with IDE, source code control, documentation, and design modeling tools
- Proficiency in programming applications in C or C++
- Experience in numerous embedded controls (e.g. PID control loops, motor control, digital filters, state machines, low-level peripheral drivers, etc.)
- Experience with embedded RTOSes
- Familiarity with Agile or Scrum software development process in a team environment
- Familiarity with troubleshooting hardware technology (i.e. reading electrical schematics and using multimeters and oscilloscopes)
- Familiarity with industrial fieldbus protocols and other serial network communications is a plus (ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, CAN, USB, RS485, Modbus, etc.).
- Familiarity with Ethernet and wireless communications stacks is a plus (TCP/IP, UDP, Zigbee, Bluetooth, wifi, etc.)
- Limited travel may be required
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.