- 41 Waukegan Rd, Lake Bluff, IL 60044, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
This Product Manager is a key position focused on profitably growing a product portfolio by developing, implementing and driving marketing/business strategies and tactical action plans contributing to growth in market share and size. This key position is focused on effectively utilizing ITW’s Toolbox of core business philosophies to manage the lifecycle of multiple product lines, lead business growth initiatives and champion new product development. The Product Manager will collaborate with Marketing to develop lead generation tools, programs and campaigns and with Global Sales Teams to develop and support local growth strategies. The position must effectively utilize the ITW Business Model to lead business growth initiatives as a champion for strategic Market Development, Market Segmentation, Product Positioning, Customer Back Innovation and value-based Sales Strategies.
- Manage a portfolio of products through the development, commercialization, growth, maintenance and obsolescence stages.
- Generate business development strategies based on market, product, and leading-edge technology opportunities. Demonstrate knowledge of customer requirements, industry trends, and competitive product positioning.
- Perform market research to drive the strategic direction of end-user segmentation, new product development, pricing/positioning of product, channel to market, and promotional strategies.
- Develop knowledge and expertise on the market needs, technology developments, field sales information, and voice of customer (VOC) data.
- Ensure products are market priced throughout global sales channels.
- Offer professional support and training to customers, distributors and sales team members via email, phone and in-person visits. Work closely with Lab and Sales globally to coordinate on-site training sessions. Assist in the creation and facilitation of seminars, workshops and exhibitions.
- Build and maintain an innovation pipeline that supports Buehler’s business strategies.
- Conduct Voice-of-Customer work to uncover customer pain points and generate value propositions.
- Create the Product Requirements & Specifications (PRS) that define the market need, potential, and differentiation of the new product. Include business justification, product positioning, value proposition, risk assessment, and competitive analysis.
- Partner with engineering to champion new product development (NPD) projects through a stage gate process.
- Lead new product rollout efforts including forecasting volumes, designing market tests, promotional materials and sales channel training.
- Utilize ITW’s core enterprise principles to identify and allocate resources to maximize portfolio profitability and product performance.
- Analyze and communicate sales and earnings trends for given product lines using dashboards and tracking reports. Use data driven information to develop product strategies and specifications.
- Determine proper focus to ensure we do the most important things for the organization to grow as a business and delight our customers. Requires evaluation and elimination of lower value functions and PLS to be successful.
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering Degree. MBA is a plus
- 5 years related work experience in a technology-based field
- Previous experience with software products
- Previous experience with industrial, scientific or instrumentation equipment is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead business growth initiatives and projects
- Proven ability to identify and understand market segmentation, to develop financial business justification, and to deliver proposals to upper management
- Experience championing product developments among a multi-functional and international team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of effectively managing priorities and time when provided multiple projects, of varying magnitude, with firm delivery dates
- Ability to demonstrate products & train others is essential
- Up to 30% domestic or international travel
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.