Software Engineer, Web
- 41 Waukegan Rd, Lake Bluff, IL 60044, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
This key position at Buehler will be helping to create and implement a technical software roadmap for Buehler products including software that connects to and controls laboratory equipment, imaging analysis, and hardness testing analysis. The software solutions engineer should be a solid web developer with the ability to creatively design, develop, maintain, and test Buehler’s software. This position will involve daily local and international interaction with software, electrical, and mechanical engineers as well as product management to develop top notch solutions. The candidate must be detail oriented, well-organized, and enjoy working at a fast pace.
The role of Software Engineer at Buehler is a great opportunity to learn and grow in many different areas with development opportunities ranging from developing new web-based applications to guiding the future of Buehler’s software solutions. A strong developer with an appetite for learning new things and participating in software design and planning would be a great fit for this role!
- Be an active designer, developer, and tester for Buehler’s web applications.
- Participate in technical roadmap development for multiple software platforms
- Creatively implement user stories to provide customers a great user experience
- Strategically look for ways to integrate and simplify software functionality across platforms
- Exercise best practices and methodologies for software development.
- Support existing software by developing new features, fixing bugs, cleaning up code, and supporting internal customers
- Debug complex application problems and produce quality software documentation
- Occasionally work directly with customers to troubleshoot, reproduce and fix bugs
- BS degree (or equivalent experience) in engineering, computer science, or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience in software engineering
- Must have an aptitude for software, a drive to produce an amazing product, and the ability to work well with others as well as independently
- Proven development expertise with php, Java and API’s
- Proven experience with SQL Server or other databases
- Proficient in the use of compilers, debuggers, and other software development tools
- Familiarity with Agile and SCRUM methodologies
- Familiarity with licensing strategies and implementation
- Understanding of the use of Voice-of-Customer & Pain Points for solution development
- Ability to work closely with non-technical product teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience or personal interest in hardness/material testing, metrology and/or industrial machine communication is helpful
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.