- 1635 W Spencer St, Appleton, WI 54914, USA
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
The Welding Segment at Miller Electric (an ITW Welding Company) is looking for a highly motivated Software Engineer that will focus on developing software in support of Product Development. Primary objectives include design, development, and software support of commercial and industrial welding equipment. Custom embedded software is utilized to provide enhanced welding capability, user friendly machine interfaces, and extensive communication both internal to the welding system and external to customers.
This opportunity will require an individual with a foundation of embedded software training, experience and the motivation to learn the advanced technologies used in the welding segment. The right candidate will enjoy translating customer requirements and business objectives into innovative software solutions that will have an impact for years to come.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE:
- Primary responsibilities include design, development, test, and support of embedded device software.
- In addition to collaborating with other software engineers, this individual will effectively work with power electronics engineers, welding engineers, project managers, product managers and customers.
- Manage the software design, programming, and development of divisional projects
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables. This includes following coding standards, meeting documentation requirements and enabling unit level software testing.
- Participate in topical software roundtable discussions to impact process improvements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or related degree required.
- Three years (or more) of experience in embedded software programming.
- Three years (or more) experience with New Product Development with knowledge of requirements management, design modeling, software architecture, configuration management, software testing, task/issue/defect tracking, the review process and good documentation.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks independently to complete jobs on time with the right emphasis on priorities.
- Must be a self-starter with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with IDE, source code control, documentation, and design modeling tools
- Proficiency in programming applications in C or C++
- Experience in numerous embedded controls (e.g. PID control loops, motor control, digital filters, state machines, low-level peripheral drivers, etc.)
- Experience with embedded RTOS, state machines, schedulers and interrupt driven coding.
- Solid understanding of source code control and design modeling tools
- Familiarity with Agile or Scrum software development process in a team environment
- Familiarity with troubleshooting hardware technology (i.e. reading electrical schematics and using multimeters and oscilloscopes)
- Familiarity with industrial fieldbus protocols and other serial network communications is a plus (ProfiNet, DeviceNet, CAN, USB, RS485, Modbus, etc.).
- Ethernet and wireless communication stacks is a plus (TCP/IP, UDP, Zigbee, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.