Senior Data Scientist
- London, London, London
IQVIA (formerly QuintilesIMS) is a leading integrated information and technology-enabled healthcare service provider worldwide, dedicated to helping its clients improve their clinical, scientific and commercial results. We dedicate our experience, resources and reputation to help our clients drive healthcare forward. Our talented ~ 50,000 employees are driven, insightful and deliver a better way of doing things so that our clients can continue to deliver true breakthroughs while taking on more complex diseases.
At IQVIA, we know that meaningful results require not only the right approach but also the right people. Regardless of your role, you’ll have the opportunity to play an important part in helping our clients improve patient healthcare. You can drive your career at IQVIA and choose the path that best defines your development and success. With exposure across diverse geographies, capabilities, and vast therapeutic and information and technology areas, you can seek opportunities to change and grow without boundaries.
Our Predictive Analytics team within the Real World Insights (RWI) Technology division is a fast growing group of collaborative, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial individuals. In our never-ending quest for opportunities to harness the value of Real World Evidence (RWE), we are at the centre of IQVIA’s advances in areas such as machine learning and cutting-edge statistical approaches. Our efforts improve retrospective clinical studies, under-diagnosis of rare diseases, personalized treatment response profiles, disease progression predictions, and clinical decision-support tools.
We are looking for a creative, innovative, intellectually curious and entrepreneurial Senior Data Scientist / Machine Learning Manager to join our London-based team.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the world's leading RWI teams working with Real World Insights to help our clients answer specific questions globally, make more informed decisions and deliver results.
You will join this high profile team to work on ground-breaking problems in health outcomes across disease areas including Ophthalmology, Oncology, Neurology, Chronic diseases such as diabetes, and a variety of very rare conditions. The Predictive Analytics team work hand-in-hand with statisticians, epidemiologists and disease area experts across the wider global RWE Solutions team, leveraging a vast variety of anonymous patient-level information from sources such as electronic health records. The data encompasses IQVIA’s access to over 530 million anonymised patients as well as bespoke, custom partnerships with healthcare providers and payers.
This is an exciting role for a Senior Data Scientist who is keen to lead, shape and grow a high profile and highly motivated data science team at the cutting-edge of life science. The primary focus of the role is to design and oversee the delivery of machine learning projects, such as developing algorithms to find undiagnosed patients with rare conditions. Most projects have an important research component, so a strong academic background is essential (the role includes opportunity to publish and participate in academic conferences).
In addition, there is scope for development in other key areas:
- Product Development - Working closely with software engineers, system architects and data scientists to build automated and scalable routines / libraries
- Business Development - Supporting business development initiatives, including technical support for client pitches, proposal writing and thought leadership (includes publications, presentations at academic conferences, client workshops, etc.).
At IQVIA we appreciate and nurture individual talent. Therefore, the exact blend of responsibilities and individual career development will in part depend on the skill set and aspirations of the successful candidate.
Our ideal candidate: Experience
- PhD and peer-review publications involving machine learning
- Extensive experience leading the design and delivery of advanced statistical / machine learning projects in the commercial sector end to end with proven delivery capability including capturing requirements, designing analysis plans, interfacing with clients and writing reports / manuscripts.
- A proactive, innovative and pragmatic approach to problem solving and an ability to think critically and independently.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including ability to present technical concepts to lay audiences, write analysis plans for projects, contribute to proposals / grant applications, pitch ideas effectively and persuasively to clients / internal stakeholders, etc.
- Flexible and adaptable in a client focused, results-driven environment.
Our ideal candidate: Tech Skills
- Excellent knowledge of supervised machine learning methods, such as regularized regressions, ensemble tree classifiers (e.g. xgboost), Support Vector Machines, Neural Networks, etc.
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or R. Experience with Spark or Scala is beneficial.
- Solid understanding of best coding practices and version control software such as Git, ability to write clean and efficient code and a good understanding of the data science package landscape.
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of epidemiology / biostatistics, particularly analytical issues relating to studies of treatment effectiveness, disease progression, adherence, healthcare utilization, etc.
- Knowledge of healthcare / life science issues involving Real-World Evidence
- Experience with patient-level, longitudinal data.
Total Rewards: We invest in people through a range of initiatives in compensation, benefits, and learning and development, and we strive to create an environment where our employees are challenged, empowered and can flourish.
QuintilesIMS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We cultivate a diverse corporate culture across the 100+ countries where we operate, celebrating and rewarding teamwork and inclusiveness. By embracing our differences, we create innovative solutions that are good for IMS, our clients, and the advancement of healthcare everywhere.
QuintilesIMS is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We believe that a work environment that embraces diversity will give us a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enhance our success. We believe that an inclusive and respectful workplace culture fosters a sense of belonging among our employees, builds a stronger team, and allows individual employees the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.