Big Data Engineer (Full time / Contract)
- King's Cross Rd, London WC1X, UK
We are looking for a creative, innovative and intellectually curious and entrepreneurial Big Data Software Engineer to join our Real World Insights (RWI) healthcare analytics group in London.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the world's leading RWI teams working with Real World Insights to help our clients answer specific questions globally, make more informed decisions and deliver results.
Our Predictive Analytics team is a fast growing group of collaborative, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial individuals! In our never-ending quest for opportunities to harness the value of RWE, we are at the center of IQVIA’ advances in areas such as machine learning and cutting-edge statistical approaches. Our efforts improve retrospective clinical studies, under-diagnosis of rare diseases, personalized treatment response profiles, disease progression predictions, and clinical decision-support tools.
You will join this high profile team to work on ground-breaking problems in health outcomes across disease areas including Ophthalmology, Oncology, Neurology, Chronic diseases such as diabetes, and a variety of very rare conditions. The Predictive Analytics team work hand-in-hand with statisticians, epidemiologists and disease area experts across the wider global RWES team, leveraging a vast variety of anonymous patient-level information from sources such as electronic health records. The data encompasses IQVIA’ access to over 530 million anonymised patients as well as bespoke, custom partnerships with healthcare providers and payers.
You will be working in a team of highly talented Engineers and Data Scientists. Your main responsibility will be to write highly performant / scalable code that will run on top of our Big Data platform (Spark/Hive/Impala/Hadoop). Also, you will be working closely with the Data Science team to support them in the ETL process (including the cohorts building efforts).
- Working in a cross-functional team – alongside talented Engineers and Data Scientists
- Building scalable and high-performant code
- Mentoring less experienced colleagues within the team
- Implementing ETL process – including cohorts building and ETL routines customisation
- Monitoring cluster (Spark/Hadoop) performance
- Working in an Agile Environment
- Refactoring and moving our current libraries and scripts to Scala/Java
- Enforcing coding standards and best practices
- Working in a geographically dispersed team
- Working in an environment with a significant number of unknowns – both technically and functionally
Skills and Qualifications
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or related field
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with personal interest in subjects such as math/statistics, machine learning and AI.
- Solid knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Proficient in Scala, Java and SQL
- Strong experience with Apache Spark, Hive/Impala and HDFS
- Experience working in an Agile environment using Test Driven Development (TDD) and Continuous Integration (CI)
- Experience refactoring code with scale and production in mind
- Familiar with Python, Unix/Linux, Git, Jenkins, JUnit and ScalaTest
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Experience with any of the following distributions of Hadoop - Cloudera/MapR/Hortonworks
- Experience with other functional Languages such as Haskell and Clojure
- Experience with Big Data ML toolkits such as Mahout, SparkML and H2O
- Experience with Apache Kafka, Apache Ignite and Druid
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker
- Experience with Cloud Platforms technologies such as DCOS/Marathon/Apache Mesos, Kubernetes and Apache Brooklyn
Total Rewards: We invest in people through a range of initiatives in compensation, benefits, and learning and development, and we strive to create an environment where our employees are challenged, empowered and can flourish.
IQVIA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We cultivate a diverse corporate culture across the 100+ countries where we operate, celebrating and rewarding teamwork and inclusiveness. By embracing our differences, we create innovative solutions that are good for IMS, our clients, and the advancement of healthcare everywhere.
IQVIA is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We believe that a work environment that embraces diversity will give us a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enhance our success. We believe that an inclusive and respectful workplace culture fosters a sense of belonging among our employees, builds a stronger team, and allows individual employees the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.