- R. Dr. Plácido da Costa, 4200-450 Porto, Portugal
LoF is working to enable a new era of personalized medicine, by using AI and photonics to build a cloud-based library of diseases biomarkers and biological profiles.
It is providing screening and stratification tools in an affordable, fast, portable way, saving up to 40% of cost and 70% of the time spent screening for clinical trials.
Supported by leading institutions like Microsoft Ventures, Mayfield or the Oxford University, iLoF is currently focusing a validated platform technology in one of the biggest epidemics of our times: Alzheimer's, while maintaining ongoing verticals on Digestive Cancer, Stroke and Infectious diseases.
We offer a fast-paced cross-functional, technologically advanced, start-up environment, passionate about developing individual scientific skills. The Internship provides the candidate with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various scientific areas. The intern selected will have the opportunity to learn about disease states, disease biomarkers, AI and photonic-based technology, preparation of biological samples and data management & storage.
We are seeking a highly motivated intern willing to achieve experience in the biological science field (with a focus on research) but also to gain the opportunity to develop new skills in an industry setting. The main role of this internship will focus on biological samples preparation, analysis, and biobanking maintenance.
- Undergraduate in Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Laboratory Sciences, Cellular and/or Molecular biology, or related scientific areas
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and quantitative skills is required
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills are preferred
- Ability to balance multiple projects and initiatives while executing results
- Must be a self-starter works independently while contributing to the team goals
- Apply basic knowledge of laboratory procedures, such as basic pipetting, medium and sample preparation, dilution techniques, and others
- Be aware and following recommendations for safe laboratory practices
- Ability to interpret and follow written protocols
- Plan and execute data/sample acquisitions assays
- Work with supervisors and team members for planning laboratory activities
- Actively participate in the internal biobank maintenance, including samples organization and update/insert new registries on the samples database
- Contribute and document protocols and technical reports
- Effectively communicate experimental results (both written and oral)
- Independently search for published literature papers and other materials to acquire a clearer understanding of the project
- Must be enrolled in a bachelor’s/masters degree program at a recognized University/Institute
- Great verbal and written communication skills of Portuguese and English language
- Competence with MS Office
- Ability to identify issues, seek solutions and work independently while contributing to the team goals
- Maintain the same confidentiality as the employees
- Must be available to complete a minimum of 20 consecutive week internship between January and July with a minimum of 30 hours of work per week.
- Should not be employed during the internship
- Must be efficient, organized, self-disciplined, enthusiastic, and determined