Junior Transportation Engineer
- Cuernavaca 4, Colonia Condesa, Cuauhtémoc, 06140 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
We are a global architecture, engineering, planning, and technology firm defining the cities of tomorrow.
By connecting design and technology, we change how people experience their built environment. We work across disciplines to create the intelligent systems, sustainable buildings, and efficient infrastructure that shapes the way people live, move, learn, and heal.
With over 3,000 employees and 60+ offices around the world, we understand what it takes to work locally and scale globally.
We are currently seeking for a Transport Planner for our Mexico City office. This position will provide technical support and services to the Infrastructure, Transportation, Mobility and Planning team, helping define the cities of tomorrow.
We are looking for someone who can both define and analyze a problem, is self-motivated and well organized, who takes pride in the quality of their work and can work in a problem-solving environment. Knowledge of the transport sector/industry is essential, ideally across Mexico and relevant countries in Latin America such as Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay. And can manipulate data and explain technical concepts and opinions to technical and non-technical audiences through written reports presentations, key notes and similar. The successful applicant will assist the transport planning team in producing the necessary submittals. The selected applicant will successfully achieve team goals by learning to effectively prioritizing their tasks and using available resources efficiently.
The IBI Group Transport Planning team delivers complex solutions and pushes the limits of innovations, critical thinking and technology. We use technology and business intelligence tools to manage transportation corridors, transit systems, building infrastructure and utilities so they are safer, more efficient, and environmentally sustainable.
Are you looking for a challenging opportunity that will enable you to shape new approaches to transport in Mexico and beyond? Are you looking for a career where progression is based on performance and ability, and which rewards entrepreneurial thinking?
Most of the things you’ll work on:
- City/community/region analysis; including data collection, analysis and evaluation of transportation/mobility, zoning, socioeconomic, demographics and others.
- Assistance to the specialists of the team in the tasks related to the development of field studies in transit and transport, evaluations of need and justification of new transport projects, analysis of alternatives, demand predictions, planning of transport networks / systems, generation of operation plans, transportation master plans, and non-motorized transportation.
- Assist with broader transportation/mobility planning and/or urban studies, including problem definition, option evaluation, and development of recommendations.
- Contributing to writing and structuring reports, technical memos and presentations
- Assisting with preparing proposals, budgets and schedules & reviewing of tender documents.
- Supporting project managers with task management and project coordination
- Successfully communicate project scope/requirements to subcontractors, clients and non-technical audiences.
- Working with project interdisciplinary teams, locally, across IBI offices and with external partners; providing consultancy, liaison and support, including with the client and other stakeholders.
- Conducting Business Development Efforts with current and potential clients
- Style correction and translation of technical texts, between English and Spanish
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree ideally in Architecture, Urbanism, Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, with ideally Master’s degree in Urbanism/ Transportation Planning/Transport Systems with a focus on Mobility/Transportation and/or urban planning
- 5 or more years of experience that includes technical and business development experience in transportation/mobility and city/regional planning
- Experience in managing small projects and studies would be welcome
- Ability to work with AutoCAD and GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS), would be plus
- Knowledge transport planning tools such as EMME, AIMSUN, VISSIM, VISUM or similar at a basic level as additional skill, would be beneficial
- Must possess a collaborative attitude in working with other members of the transportation/mobility/planning teams
- Must be able to work independently with direction and supervision provided as needed based on the complexity of the assignment(s)
- Must demonstrate an ability to work within established timelines, and within project budgets
- Good written and verbal communication skills - the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences is essential
- Relevant industry experience on planning/mobility or similar will be an advantage
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills are a must; there is a lot of interaction with potential clients
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required to collaborate elaborating proposals
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self-Learning Skills desirable
- Commitment to meet deadlines and work under pressure is a must.
- Ability to deal with multiple mindsets of colleagues and clients
- Proficient with software tools such as: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Teams.
- Full command of English language is a must
- Continuous availability for travel
We are currently working remotely, but when restrictions are lifted and we return to the office, you will need to be within commuting distance
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. IBI Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability.
We request applicants submit their RESUME highlighting relevant work experience; please limit PDF files to 10MB.