Associate, Urban Design
- 55 St Clair Ave W, Toronto, ON M4V 1N5, Canada
We are a global architecture, engineering, planning, and technology firm defining the cities of tomorrow.
By connecting design and technology, we change how people experience their built environment. We work across disciplines to create the intelligent systems, sustainable buildings, and efficient infrastructure that shapes the way people live, move, learn, and heal.
With over 3,000 employees and 60+ offices around the world, we understand what it takes to work locally and scale globally.
At IBI, we’re defining the cities of tomorrow.
Our multi-disciplinary Placemaking practice produces long-term strategies that position communities for success in every aspect of the urban experience – from day-to-day living, learning and health, to major transportation and infrastructural growth.
IBI Group is seeking a Senior Urban Designer for a position at the Toronto Campus – Placemaking Studio. Design excellence and knowledge of Architecture, Urban Design and Design Technology. The position will provide an opportunity to build your portfolio; while working alongside senior professionals on local and international projects of various scales ranging from neighbourhood master plans, smart cities, urban design, TOD, transit planning, streetscape design, parks, residential development, resorts amongst others for public and private sector clients.
Applicants need to meet the minimum qualifications identified below.
Most of the things you'll work on:
• Collaborate and work with Clients / Planners / Landscape Architects on a variety of private and public sector urban design, landscape architecture, master planning and planning projects;
• Create parametric models to solve complex urban problems;
• Assist with data acquisition and management
• Produce High quality graphic presentations and reports; and
• Assist in writing proposals, undertaking research, policy and guidelines etc.
• Minimum requirement – University degree (Bachelor) in Architecture, Landscape Architecture or Urban Design;
• Strong Rhino and Grasshopper skills for building complex parametric models;
•Knowledge of programming languages (Python or C# preferred) is an asset
• Minimum requirement – 7+ years of relevant working experience in a professional Urban Design, Planning, Landscape Architectural or Architectural firm; and
• Minimum requirement – Project portfolio showcasing parametric modeling;
• Multidisciplinary interests (in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture / Transportation / Urban /Regional Planning), well-aware of current planning and design issues;
• Inquisitive and self-motivated individual with good organizational skills;
• Capacity to multi-task, keen eye for detail/precision a must;
• Capacity to deliver in challenging project timeframes and deadlines;
• Able to read and understand zoning by-laws, technical surveys and plans
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
• Driver's license is an asset
We are currently in a work from home model during COVID-19 but when we do return to the office we're located at 55 St. Clair Ave West, this office is steps away from St. Clair station and is easily accessible by bike, TTC and car. Occupying 7 floors, with over 700 employees, it is the largest office at IBI Group. You will need to be local to the Toronto office and able to work remotely until we return to the office.
The floors are open concept and represent our collaborative approach to projects. You’ll have direct access to management while benefiting from our enthusiastic and helpful organizational resources team. As a global architecture, engineering and technology design firm, IBI Group also has offices across the country, continent and world.
IBI Group provides a competitive benefit package and pays association dues and licensing fees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are proud to support the growth and equality of our people through initiatives like our Mentorship Program, Global Women’s Network. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, race, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of IBI Group's selection process, candidates may be requested to consent to background checks relevant to the role under consideration for, prior to receiving a job offer. These could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver’s license record.
We request applicants submit RESUME AND PORTFOLIO highlighting relevant work experience. Please limit PDF files to 10MB