CI/CD Automation Engineer
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Directorate: IAG Tech
About IAG Tech
IAG Tech is a community of IT and digital professionals from across the International Airlines Group (IAG). We drive the technology behind some of the biggest and most successful brands in global aviation, including British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia.
Brought together in 2019, we are a unique community with a shared vision to deliver Technology Excellence and be recognised as industry leaders in the use of technology.
Our mission is to delight customers, enable employees, accelerate business performance, protect our business and increase shareholder value, through the innovative and agile use of technology and data.
We use product-centric delivery teams using agile methods to implement new capabilities at pace and maximise business outcomes. With a relentless focus on improving system performance and stability, we continually strive to find new and better ways to innovate and support the Group.
At IAG Tech we share common values to help us create the right culture to underpin our thriving community:
Innovation | we value identifying new ways of using technology to solve business challenges
Empowerment | we value giving people the freedom to operate, that they take accountability, and collaborate with colleagues
Professionalism | we value having and developing the right knowledge and competency to be able to do our jobs to the best of our ability
Transparency | we value honesty and integrity and always share the reality in a manner the business understands
Agility | we value responsiveness, speed and flexibility in everything we do
We celebrate when we see great examples of our values in action and challenge each other when we see these values being ignored.
There are a variety of components and tools facilitating ba.com and other BA applications including 2 major platforms – WEBTWO & CAPTWO. Deliverables on these platforms are enabled by Automation Frameworks which aims to enforce best practise, consistency and governance.
- Automate and optimise processes to encourage a shift left approach, and to enable fast delivery and rapid releases
- Understand, maintain, enhance and propagate automation frameworks used for the delivery and release of CAPTWO and WEBTWO artefacts
- Utilising an “as-code” approach, maintain, support and deliver changes to automation which consists of
- Release pipelines
- Build / Deploy / Test jobs
- Housekeeping jobs
- Utility jobs
- Support and maintain (currently 46) shared CAPTWO Development & Testing environments
- Develop and evolve CI/CD principles and tools in line with the organisation’s strategic approach
- Collaborate with various teams and individuals (such as, though not limited to, delivery teams, central services and other engineers) to continuously improve and align the automation frameworks ensuring it remains an enabler for delivering artefacts on these platforms
Working in partnership with IAG Tech and the business to:
- Facilitate, manage and oversee existing automation frameworks which enable teams to efficiently deliver high quality, high value solutions for the business
- Support and collaborate with Product and Project Managers, and other centralised teams which offer support services to ensure automation solutions are fit for purpose
- Contribute to regular reviews of the BA automation roadmap (subject to changing priorities) to ensure the continued delivery of automation beneficial to BA
- Deliver improvements based on the agreed BA automation roadmap collaborating and coordinating activity with others as necessary
- Collaborate with others, delivering automation as per requirements, complying to agreed industry, organisation and local standards & best practice.
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure consistent adoption across BA Delivery; Review and modify the CI/CD principles, automate newly integrated features and develop the relevant toolsets.
- Conduct technical reviews of proposed solutions impacting automation processes and tools as steppingstones to achieving business requirements as well as technical excellence (such as DC Exit Programme)
- Provide consultation deploying a strong learning mindset and collaborating with others to ensure BA Delivery is leveraging from automation and the business are exposed to the benefits
- Act as an automation evangelist sharing a common vision where automation is an enabler for being more responsive to customers’ needs and more lucrative for investors
- Work closely with strategic IAGTech teams to share experience and contribute in shaping best practice and principles;
This role may require travel and working from multiple sites/locations. Willing and able to travel to participate in meetings, workshops, and other related activities.
An Automation Engineer requires a wide range of technical and soft skills as the following demonstrates.
We acknowledge prospective candidates might not hold all skills and experience listed below however, they should be able to demonstrate good understanding, capabilities and competence required to fulfil the role.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
Desired skills & knowledge
- Solid understanding of computer programming and software development
- Good understanding of web technologies, operating systems and platforms
- An inquisitive mindset, with an aptitude for problem solving and keen to continuously develop their skillset
- Sound decision-making for enhancing the automation framework while conscious of costs vs benefits
- Forming strong stakeholder relationships, with a proven ability of influencing others
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise
- Experience / Knowledge of Waterfall & Agile methodologies
- Experience / Knowledge of Cloud Technology (beneficial)
- Exposure to various tools and technologies such as
- Source Code Repository VCS (Subversion, Github)
- Artifact Repository (Nexus)
- Code Quality Tools (SonarQube)
- Test Tools (JMeter, SoapUI, Selenium)
- Build Tools (Maven, Gradle)
- Middleware (Tomcat, Apache Webserver)
- Server O/S (Linux)
- Programming / Scripting Languages (Java, Groovy, Unix)
- Fluent written and spoken English, preferably with the ability to make complex concepts more accessible
- Proven Automation / Software Engineer responsibilities across the SDLC
- Analysing client / user requirements
- Designing solutions to satisfy requirements
- Developing, testing and implementing solutions
- Enhancing existing systems, adding features or making them more efficient
- Troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Writing Technical documentation such as proposals, guides, presentations
- Experience with JIRA or other issues tracking tools
- Hands-on experience with some modern DevOps practices - automation, continuous delivery, continuous deployment, continuous integration methodologies
- Recommends new technologies, tools, processes, approaches etc or enhancements to existing
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
The chance to enjoy a challenging career in an exciting, fast-moving environment in a dynamic industry, working in a multi-cultural environment with great offices in many locations. We aim to provide all our people with a work/life balance, as well as the many benefits offered by a global organisation, including health insurance, pension, and performance bonuses
Diversity and Inclusion
IAG Tech is part of the IAG GBS organisation, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. We recognise that we can only deliver the required business outcomes if we have a thriving community of technology professionals. Together we strive to become the very best at what we do.
We focus on making Tech a great place to work, with a community that we feel proud to belong to. To help make this a reality, our people strategy focuses on six key domains: Engagement, Talent Management, Reward and Recognition, Performance Management, Learning and Development and Culture.
We understand the importance of Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace to deliver this strategy – everyone should feel part of our team. We want to foster an inclusive workplace, celebrate individuality and embrace differences so that everyone in IAG Tech can achieve their goals and ambitions, regardless of their personal circumstances or background.
As a Group, IAG has an ambition that 40% of senior management roles are held by women by 2025. IAG Tech fully supports that ambition, and we are working to help make it a reality. With this in mind, we have set ourselves the challenging target of recruiting 50% female colleagues by 2030.