Senior Engineering Manager
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Directorate: IAG Tech
About IAG Tech
IAG Tech is a community of IT and digital professionals from across the International Airlines Group (IAG). We drive the technology behind some of the biggest and most successful brands in global aviation, including British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia.
Brought together in 2019, we are a unique community with a shared vision to deliver Technology Excellence and be recognised as industry leaders in the use of technology.
Our mission is to delight customers, enable employees, accelerate business performance, protect our business and increase shareholder value, through the innovative and agile use of technology and data.
We use product-centric delivery teams using agile methods to implement new capabilities at pace and maximise business outcomes. With a relentless focus on improving system performance and stability, we continually strive to find new and better ways to innovate and support the Group.
At IAG Tech we share common values to help us create the right culture to underpin our thriving community:
Innovation | we value identifying new ways of using technology to solve business challenges
Empowerment | we value giving people the freedom to operate, that they take accountability, and collaborate with colleagues
Professionalism | we value having and developing the right knowledge and competency to be able to do our jobs to the best of our ability
Transparency | we value honesty and integrity and always share the reality in a manner the business understands
Agility | we value responsiveness, speed and flexibility in everything we do
We celebrate when we see great examples of our values in action and challenge each other when we see these values being ignored.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be leading Product teams in one or more of our domains within the BA Tech Delivery Team to bring agile change to life. We are doing this by role modelling and embedding agile ways of working and applying SAFe as an overarching umbrella within BA Delivery.
Purpose of the role
- Software Engineering Manager will drive software engineering strategy and support day-to-day execution for their product channel. They have line management responsibility for Software Engineers, engage with Delivery, Ops, Architecture regularly as well as with 3rd party and Suppliers, and be responsible for identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
Working in partnership with BA Delivery and the wider IAG/BA business to:
- Manage, coach and develop Software Engineers who report into them and create a pathway for advancement for those identified as successors.
- Manages software ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement
- Develop software transformation roadmap in line with the product roadmap and in collaboration with architecture, delivery and product management peers.
- Review the skill and expertise requirements to accomplish team goals and identify staffing and talent resources to fill project roles.
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
- Coordinate with team to define the measures of success for process improvements.
- Ability to lead Agile team Ceremonies, including sprint and program increment demos, and inputting in to the team backlog. Collaborate with the team to identify and implement improvements via sprint retrospectives.
- Continuously improve systems, solutions and business processes through working with process owners and other subject matter experts to gain a great understanding of business ways of working and challenges.
- Provide support on systems/solutions, building, testing and implementing fault fixes and monitoring the system to prevent problems occurring (e.g. DevSecOps environment).
This role may require travel and working from multiple sites/locations. Willing and able to travel to participate in meetings, workshops, and other related activities.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Specific technical experience and qualifications required
- Excellent ability to lead development, testing and deployment activities in the specific technology area
- Forming strong stakeholder relationships, with a proven ability of influencing and persuading internally and externally
- Effective team leadership and development skills
- Effective stakeholder management, balancing and finding compromises between opposing views and opinions
- Business partnering, working as a valued partner with senior stakeholders across a diverse operation, delivering a value-added service to business customers.
- Ability to recognise priorities and guide others towards the accomplishment of strategic business goals and objectives
- Embracing and managing both business and IT change as necessary to help shape future direction
- Dynamic, problem-solving approach coupled with the ability to create a positive working environment.
- Innovation - transforming industry trends into practical, cost effective solutions
- Identifies and contributes to the continual improvement of software engineering capability across the organization
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Proven track record within a senior software engineering role in a large organisation featuring mixed model (Agile and Waterfall) delivery
- Experience of team leading dev teams and software engineers to deliver to time and budget
- Knowledge of industry best practice on software development methodologies
- Good understanding and use of common software engineering tools
- Understanding of product ownership, squads and tribes or other multi skilled team, agile business and development approaches
- Experience in translating complex business requirements into system design, taking into account technical environment(s), ability of user group to interact with the system and expected life and volatility of system.
- Demonstrable expertise in a specific technical specialism and/or broad technical expertise.
- Experience of developing in an agile and/or DevSecOps environment is highly desirable, including unit testing, behaviour driven development, and continuous integration/continuous deployment.
The chance to enjoy a challenging career in an exciting, fast-moving environment in a dynamic industry, working in a multi-cultural environment with great offices in many locations. We aim to provide all our people with a work/life balance, as well as the many benefits offered by a global organisation, including health insurance, pension, and performance bonuses
Diversity and Inclusion
IAG Tech is part of the IAG GBS organisation, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. We recognise that we can only deliver the required business outcomes if we have a thriving community of technology professionals. Together we strive to become the very best at what we do.
We focus on making Tech a great place to work, with a community that we feel proud to belong to. To help make this a reality, our people strategy focuses on six key domains: Engagement, Talent Management, Reward and Recognition, Performance Management, Learning and Development and Culture.
We understand the importance of Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace to deliver this strategy – everyone should feel part of our team. We want to foster an inclusive workplace, celebrate individuality and embrace differences so that everyone in IAG Tech can achieve their goals and ambitions, regardless of their personal circumstances or background.
As a Group, IAG has an ambition that 40% of senior management roles are held by women by 2025. IAG Tech fully supports that ambition, and we are working to help make it a reality. With this in mind, we have set ourselves the challenging target of recruiting 50% female colleagues by 2030.