Commerce Editorial Manager
- New York, NY, USA
Why The Daily Beast? We reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. This is a rare opportunity to work for a well-known, well respected digital brand that helps drive the national conversation from politics to fashion, breaking news to pop culture.
The Daily Beast is looking for a creative, curious, and energetic writer-slash-strategist-slash-curator to become our first-ever Commerce Editorial Manager. Commerce content lives under Scouted, a new product and shopping vertical on our site.
The purpose of Scouted is to share practical, entertaining, and sometimes unexpected ideas for products that our readers might like. Scouted stories should aim to inform, entertain, and educate our readers — and as our Commerce Editorial Manager, you’ll be an integral part of making that happen.
If you’re a consummate consumer with excellent prose and a flair for service journalism, eager to share your product recommendations, perspectives, and experiences with others, you might be a fit. Speed, an enthusiasm for high/low culture, and writing style with a strong point of view are a must.
Commerce sits under the business development team, but our plan is for the Commerce Editorial Manager to run it with the same level of editorial integrity and journalistic instincts as our newsroom. You’ll be the keeper of the Scouted editorial calendar—researching, curating , and writing about products every day to help our readers discover the next thing they need. Or want? Or need? Either way, they’ll love it—and it’ll be because of you.
- Develop and manage an editorial calendar and overall editorial strategy for Scouted
- Pitch and write posts for Scouted, including product curation
- Scout and track sales and deals that our readers might be interested in
- Package and publish commerce content in our CMS
- Research and propose new product categories to surface for our readers
- Find, reach out to, and speak with relevant sources for commerce content
- Contribute to the launch of Scouted’s newsletter and social channels
- Work with the product team to develop new ways to help our readers find content and buy product recommendations from Scouted
- Collaborate with business development and analytics teams to understand what readers like to buy
You are / have:
- At least 3 years of previous writing experience as a journalist, reporter, or similar editorial role
- Strong research and writing skills
- Comfortable editing and fact-checking your own work
- Interested in a variety of product categories
- Adept at navigating the online shopping world and a sharp eye for a good deal
- A self-starter who isn’t afraid to take an idea and run with it
- A voracious follower and spotter of trends
- Proven ability to multitask under pressure and juggle multiple deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An eager collaborator with multiple teams to grow Scouted
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Proficiency in Google’s G suite
- A voracious news diet and appetite for current affairs, pop culture, and internet trends
- Based in NYC
Why work for us?
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.