- New York, NY, USA
More About Us:
Why The Daily Beast? We reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. This is a rare opportunity to work for a well-known, well respected digital brand that helps drive the national conversation from politics to fashion, breaking news to pop culture.
What We Can Offer You:
The Executive Editor directly oversees The Daily Beast’s newsroom, supervising daily coverage of everything from the arts to global affairs. The Executive Editor will assist the Editor in Chief in crafting strategic plans for the Daily Beast, and will take the lead in turning those strategies into day-to-day assignments and projects. The Executive Editor will also review the budget with the Editor in Chief and Publisher and help make decisions on edit team hires. The Executive Editor will mentor talent and work with section editors as needed to commission stories. He or she will also oversee certain special projects, such as coverage of specific events or the launch of a new vertical.
What You’d Get to Do:
- Help edit, guide, mentor, and collaborate with other members of The Daily Beast staff.
- Supervise editors covering politics, U.S. news, global affairs, the arts, entertainment, travel, tech, science, and more for The Daily Beast.
- Run select reporters personally.
- Work with the staff to deliver timely stories and well-crafted narratives.
- Conceive compelling story and project ideas.
- Be a key decision-maker during breaking news situations.
- Ability to discuss stories, debate key issues on TV, radio, and online outlets.
- Contribute ideas for new, non-traditional ways to tell stories that enhance audience engagement.
What You Bring To Us:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
- Proven track record of newsroom leadership.
- Willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Strong research, writing, and reporting skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources.
- Fluency in social media, story promotion skills.
- At least ten years of reporting and editing experience.
- Based in New York City.
Why work for us?
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.