Director of Video
- New York, NY, USA
More About Us:
Why The Daily Beast? We reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. This is a rare opportunity to work for a well-known, well respected digital brand that helps drive the national conversation from politics to fashion, breaking news to pop culture.
What We Can Offer You:
The Video Director will be an integral member of the breaking news team in our New York offices. You’ll help our senior leadership team direct news coverage of the most important stories of the day, coordinate with the social team to drive viewer engagement through breaking news clips and clever video mashups, and have a say in how we cover the most important stories in the news today.
What You’d Get to Do:
• Direct our news coverage in a visual format, using video to engage readers on breaking news, political scandals, and stories of the day
• Coordinate with the social team to deliver video clips and original mashups across various platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Analyze how our readers and viewers are interacting with our video offerings and innovate on new products to provide news value to our users
• Drive engagement through video offerings
• Mentor members of the video and social departments to strengthen their news judgment and their video editing skills
• Manage and oversee 1-2 junior video reporters/editors and a video intern
• Directly report to The Daily Beast’s Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor
What You Bring Us:
• 5+ years’ experience at a national news organization
• College degree preferable
• A keen insight into what viewers want from video news
• Speed and excellent news judgment
• An obsessive interest in getting the news out quickly and helping readers understand the most important stories of the day, month, year
• A voracious news diet
• A hunger to work in a fast-paced newsroom and to stay abreast of the competition
Why work for us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best in benefits. We offer discretionary vacation (as in take what you need with approval for all exempt and non-guild employees), commuter subsidy, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, subsidized gym membership, fully stock kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.