Software Development Manager, Platform Team
- Oakland, CA, us
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from bathrobes to tax forms, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how large or small. Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
Our key capabilities include:
- Multi-channel audience acquisition and monetization expertise.
- A rapid release application platform allowing us to develop and test a variety of new products.
- Deep data management, analytics, and machine learning expertise to drive engaging media experiences.
- 24x7 operations services with experience supporting multiple, international domains at scale.
We’re looking for a hands-on engineering manager on our platform team, where you will be responsible for a team of 5 - 7 people. This team is somewhat generalist in nature, involved in a number of systems and technologies, so you must apply resources across efforts, develop the individuals on the team, and act as a technical resource.
You’re a great fit for this job if you have the following qualities:
- You lead by example and get involved in the work
- You are able to work across teams and foster a culture of doing so
- You don’t micromanage and you encourage autonomy in members of your team
- You can draw from a deep pool of prior knowledge and have a broad understanding of varied architectural concerns
- You have the “soft skills” to understand concerns and help others achieve their goals
- You see opportunity in even the hardest challenges
- You use the right tool/technique/process for the job
- You’re disciplined and insist on clean code and development best-practices
- You are clear, well-considered, and articulate in your thinking and communication; you understand the big picture when it comes to executing on an initiative
- You genuinely enjoy your work and the tech industry
About the Job
This job is a great fit for you if you want to:
- Lead and coach a team of developers
- Work across a portfolio of hundreds of repos
- Learn the overall architecture and help guide decisions
- Work with a cutting edge technology and infrastructure
- Improve process issues to help you team be more successful
- You have management expertise - You have managed and developed one or more small teams of back-end developers
- You have technical expertise - you know advanced Java; bonus if you have extensive experience with another language as well
- You have solid CS fundamentals - you have a strong grasp of algorithms, data structures, operating systems, networking, etc.
- You understand scale - we operate at very large scale and on mission-critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is vital
- This is not your first rodeo - you have a minimum 5 years experience building services and APIs that enable maintainable and reusable application development
- You automate - You have experience creating systems that can be deployed daily
- You like big data - NoSQL experience is a plus, especially Cassandra
- You’re portable - Docker, Kubernetes and container knowledge is a strong plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender,sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status