Junior Product Designer
- New York, NY, USA
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
What We Can Offer You:
The Daily Beast (TDB) is seeking a Junior Product Designer with a keen eye for detail and passion for designing brand ecosystems.
As a member of our product team, you’ll work alongside the creative director, engineers, product managers and stakeholders from the newsroom and business teams.
You need to be confident working on a lean, nimble team, growing a product from MVP to maturity at a fast clip. Your success will be measured by your ability to create products that delight our 20M users, drive value for our fast-paced business, and help showcase the award-winning stories produced by our newsroom.
While working on this team you will:
Ship high-quality products in coordination with stakeholders, the creative director, product managers, and engineers.
Help develop and enforce The Daily Beast’s style guide
Have an opportunity to improve presentation skills with high level stakeholders
Collaborate with stakeholders across the business, newsroom, and technology teams to deliver portfolio-quality work.
Work closely with the Creative Director to strengthen The Daily Beast brand by assisting in the development of new features and improving our product across all platforms.
Create product specifications, process flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes.
Communicate your ideas, concepts, and “aha!” moments clearly.
What You Bring Us:
- Ability to build rational, articulable, elegant solutions to complex problems
- Create wireframes and early-stage prototypes
- A hunger to understand the capabilities and technical constraints of the systems with which you’ll be working
- Excitement to learn and grow as a product designer in typography, layout, and hierarchy.
- Undergraduate Degree in user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar UX-related role with accompanying experience in visual/graphic design.
- Ability to hone your talents in a collaborative environment.
- Strong experience with product/iterative work with a single product or client.
- Experience engaging directly with users of a product you’ve worked on.
- Ability to communicate your design vision through verbal and written explanation, sketching, or quick mockups.
- Communicate your ideas, concepts, and “aha!” moments clearly.
- Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of design principles.
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best in benefits. We offer discretionary vacation (as in take what you need with approval for all exempt and non-guild employees), tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, subsidized gym membership, stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
You Should Have:
An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant product experience. Show your work and process, not just final designs.