Software Engineer, Platform Engineering
- 555 City Center, 555 12th St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from bathrobes to tax forms, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how large or small. Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
Our key capabilities include:
- Multi-channel audience acquisition and monetization expertise.
- A rapid release application platform allowing us to develop and test a variety of new products.
- Deep data management, analytics, and machine learning expertise to drive engaging media experiences.
- 24x7 operations services with experience supporting multiple, international domains at scale.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team and focus on driving our Node.js based web app platform forward. This position offers the freedom to make substantial, revenue-impacting contributions to the design and development of the core platform and services that facilitate the velocity of other developers in building and maintaining our world-class digital properties. We are passionate about developer productivity and often find ourselves spearheading new technologies and processes for the entire dev org (eg. containerization, continuous-delivery). While focused on web developers, you’d be working with multiple teams in a culture that values collaborative, pragmatic solutions. As part of the Platform Engineering team you'll also have the opportunity to opt to work on the variety of applications, technologies and languages that the team is responsible for (micro-services, Go, etc.).
What you get to do
- Make big decisions – Help design and develop our next-generation web application platform
- Count milliseconds – Obsess over performance and scalability across our tech stack
- Stay modern – Contribute to a scalable, preformant front-end platform utilizing Node.js (ES6/Babel), Express, and modern web APIs
- Optimize delivery – Maintain and/or contribute to the overall front-end deployment strategies utilizing Gitlab CI, AWS, and OpenShift/Kubernetes
- Share what you know – Contribute to our technical culture through presentations, meetups, conferences, etc.
- Expand your impact – Get involved with out Platform Engineering team projects, delivery site functionality or improve developer productivity
You are an experienced full-stack engineer with a passion for modern web development and productivity. You thrive in a highly collaborative environment and understand the value of solving problems as a team. You are a thoughtful problem solver, with informed and defensible positions, who is always learning. You are looking for an opportunity to make a significant contribution and grow in your career.
You have solid CS fundamentals – You have a good grasp of Algorithms, Data Structures, Operating Systems, Networking, etc.
You’re comfortable in Linux – You know your way around the terminal and have experience with shell scripting
Your code sparkles – You write clean, well-tested, maintainable code
You understand web security – You have a security sensitive mindset and understanding of common attack vectors
This is not your first rodeo--you have a minimum 2 years experience building frameworks and APIs that enable maintainable and reusable application development
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.