- 555 12th St, Oakland, California
Dictionary.com is the world's leading digital dictionary. We help more than 70 million monthly users unlock the power of language daily. Our foundation in technology allows us to innovate on our ever-expanding corpus of more than 1.7 million words with deep insights about trends and usage, and provide meaningful, intuitive solutions for the expanding language needs of a connected world.
At Dictionary.com we have a collaborative culture of user-focused innovation. We are hard at work reinventing the dictionary as a platform that will enable and inspire social connection, communication, learning, creativity, and expression in our connected world. We’re looking for innovative, motivated individuals to join us.
Dictionary.com is seeking a new member to its executive team to lead the effort to develop, go-to-market and deliver strong financial success with a new product strategy. Our market & competitive research has demonstrated that with our brand, audience, and technical assets we are extremely well positioned to displace the current incumbent for this new product offering.
This Executive will be the growth leader of an entirely new product offering with P&L ownership and responsibilities for developing a new team, building product, executing high growth marketing and subscription revenue strategy, creating sufficient infrastructure and product/platform to enable the business to scale while driving innovation and competitive differentiation. The General Manager will be entrepreneurial, will thrive in a start-up environment, and will have a track record of executing transformational ideas. The ideal individual will be creative, strategic, customer-centric, product-focused, team-oriented and able to leverage strong business acumen. Dictionary is composed of a committed team and the business requires an energetic leader who is not afraid to roll up his or her sleeves and play a key role in eliminating anxiety with the English language.
- Lead a team to build and launch a new product offering that will extend the Dictionary.com core business into an estimated $2B market opportunity
- Develop and execute marketing strategies to acquire millions of users quickly, leveraging Dictionary.com’s O&O audience and other organic / paid channels leading to a high ROI
- Establish freemium / subscription revenue generation platform, with best in class conversion and retention
- Drive business development agenda, including potential for enterprise distribution
- Direct the product strategy to ensure effective customer engagement that is aligned with business objectives
- Manage all strategic and tactical operational aspects of product line to drive productivity and financial results while fostering teamwork and transparent communication at all levels
- Interface and collaborate with peers, stakeholders and other executives across Dictionary.com
Candidates should have a minimum of fifteen years of relevant business or functional leadership experience an online environment. The position requires a tested professional with demonstrated experience working with highly entrepreneurial internet companies.
Candidates should also demonstrate:
- Capability to set and drive business strategy
- Experience in business innovation
- Functional capability in product management and marketing strategy
- Success in working effectively and soliciting collaboration within a multidisciplinary environment including technical, marketing & product talent.
- Leadership with empathy, and respect
- Talented at developing relationships and building trust internally and externally
- Strong recruitment skills and ability to build and inspire a team underneath
- Strategic, mature and independent thinker with sound judgment
- Conscientious communicator – sets clear vision for the business
- Sets aggressive but achievable goals
- Determined, resourceful and able to achieve results in a resource-constrained environment
- Hands-on, willing to do the work and lead by example
- Committed to the professional development of teams and individuals
- Willing to travel domestically <20%