Director of Data Engineering
- 114 W 41st St, New York, NY 10036, USA
We are looking for a Director of Data Engineering to lead a team of 4 engineers. You will be responsible for the design of complex, maintainable and scalable BI solutions and apps. You will provide leadership for the lifecycle of BI solutions (end-to-end) from data warehousing, dashboard/data visualizations, best practices and design principals. You will be responsible for transforming the technical management of data to actionable reports and insights. This is not a behind-the-scenes position but will have extremely high visibility amongst the organization. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy leader that has a successful track-record working in a collaborative and fast-paced environment. This position is based in New York City but requires quarterly travel to our offices in Canada.
- Installation, configuration, coordination & planning of BI and big data technologie
- Research & design quality BI and big data solutions to meet business objectives
- Installation, configuration, co-ordination & planning of BI technologies
- Define and implement best practices
- Communicate with managers, team leads and product owners to accomplish business goals
- Responsible for documentation, quality of work and task estimation accuracy
- Identifies design and implementation issues which impact performance and availability
- Identify and recommend performance tuning and optimization opportunities within the current BI environment
- Research and design BI solutions to meet business objectives
- Mentor junior, intermediate and senior team members
- Acquire knowledge of various business areas as required
- Support Business & Technical teams with expert guidance in all matters relating to BI, analytics and reporting.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science
- At least 5 years’ experience with leading big data technologies for Media or eCommerce companies
- Experience managing or leading small to medium sized engineering teams in a dynamic environment
- 5+ years of experience designing data warehouse/data lake and ETL architectures with big data ecosystem such as Spark, Hive, Storm, Parquet, Cloudera, Hbase and HDFS.
- Experience with AWS Big Data Solutions
- Experience building reports and predictive analytics solutions (Tableau, R, etc.)
- Experience with natural language based BI tools a plus
- Experience with Python, SQL, Impala
- Ability to delivery high quality work on time and on budget
- Demonstrated skill aligning technology with business goals and objectives
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Experience with data modeling, design patterns, building highly scalable and secured solutions
Investopedia is the world’s largest financial education platform, serving over 27 million unique visitors each month. Since 1999, it has been our mission to empower the investing and financial community with the knowledge to make intelligent financial decisions. Since joining IAC in 2014, we have entered an investment period and are rapidly expanding our content while introducing new tools to further cater to our most sophisticated audiences.
We are serious about continuing to drive a company culture that is both imaginative and fun, and we’re in the market for great team players who share that mentality. We are energetic, innovative and endlessly curious and are looking for the same in our talent.
Here are a few reasons to work with us…
- Because we were voted one of the Best Places to Work two years in a row (2016 & 2017) by Business Intelligence Group, Crains Best Places to Work and a Digiday award!
- Because our employees love us on Glassdoor! (http://bit.ly/1VN8EgG)
- Because we believe in SCOPE (http://bit.ly/INV_SCOPE)
- Because you get to work with this guy! (David Siegel, CEO interview with Forbes) (http://onforb.es/1Qntovl)
- And these guys and gals! (http://bit.ly/2chB0lX)
We care about our business and want you to know everything from goals to numbers to what’s for lunch. We have doubled in size in less than a year and we’re excited for growth, innovation, hard work and fun!
We have some of the greatest benefits such as: unlimited vacation for salaried employees, medical/dental/vision options, pet insurance, 401(k) matching, commuter subsidy, tuition reimbursement, charity gift matching, huge discounts to wireless/gym/travel/much more. Our office has free snacks, catered lunch more often than not, monthly in-house massages, and themed monthly snack. More importantly – we know how hard you work so we celebrate that hard work often.