Director of Engineering
- 555 12th St., Suite 400, Oakland, CA, United States
As the world’s leading digital English dictionary and thesaurus, Dictionary.com helps more than 70 million monthly users attain language success. As the most innovative and technologically advanced dictionary, we are committed to accelerating the discovery and mastery of the English language in all its forms. Our leading mobile applications have been downloaded more than 100 million times – and we are just getting started. We are hard at work reinventing the dictionary as a platform that will enable and inspire social connection, communication, learning, creativity and expression in the connected world.
As an experienced developer leader, you have mastered modern technology frameworks, and with them build and launch products at consumer scale. You believe in Agile based development strategies and can explain and promote development methodological such as TDD/BDD, refactoring, CI and automated testing. Beautiful software is one of your passions and you can mentor and promote it in others. Being a thought leader you know how to balance out-of-the box thinking and pragmatic execution, and have a strong track record of continuously improving great software.
What you get to do
- Transform existing back end systems into a platform that can support a suite of applications and services
- Prioritize technology projects, clearly communicate status of technology projects to stakeholders, expose risks and trade-offs with a no surprises philosophy
- Mentor, grow and attract top talent
- Ensure that you are aware of, and escalate, issues that need to be addressed
- Collaborate to bring your experience and expertise to the technology road map.
- This role requires a solid contemporary web technology expert who excels at “people skills”. The position is both hands-on manager and technical contributor. The right candidate combines technical proficiency with process fluency with diplomacy.
- Your Skills
- Knowledge of what it takes to make systems scale and be highly-reliable, and then tuning them to optimal price/performance for high-volume web serving is essential
- Offshore or multi-location experience very helpful
- Lead by example, be hungry and curious, seek out knowledge and diverse opinions to help you grow and provide better decisions.
- Deep understanding of PHP. MongoDB and MySQL are must have
- Deep AWS experience.
- SEO Experience
- Programmatic Ad Experience
- Native Mobile App Development / Deployment at scale.
Dictionary.com offers competitive salaries, plus amazing benefits and perks. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.